Three (3) Jazz bass pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by unbasslichkeit, Feb 16, 2006.

1. I'm imagining an Instrument Not Found in Nature here.

We're talking a middle J-Bass pickup between the two stick pickups, and some kind of switching system tying them together.

Has anyone ever seen a Jazz Bass so configured? If so, what would the possibilities be?
  2. Have a -71 Jazz formerly rebuilt with 3 pickups. Gave a lot of very dominant mid tone. The bridge and the middle were connected to the same volumeswitch. Had it removed to get it back to normal.
    Better keep it as Leo wanted it!
  3. I plumb forgot about that one! Bought a Longhorn hollow body short scale from the Fatdawg two years ago (actually my wife got it for me for my birthday.) It's a bit dodgy but I love it.
  4. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Bootsy has one with like 8 or 10 jazz pickups
  5. Hmm..I don't doubt it, but how many do you have room for?
    My Jazz bass is out in the car, or I'd get the tape measure and see.

(Imagining a huge plateload of pickup lined up between the neck and the bridge...)
  6. Gianni

Jul 4, 2001
    Palermo - Italia
    I have one with 4 PUPs.

One is between the normal two and the other is toward the neck.

Well, it sounds good alone or with new neck one, but the tone is bad together with each other.

They are too close to match as a jazz pair and too far to match as an humbucker.

So, better to put in the middle a PU able to play good alone.

7. Bootsy Collins' bass has 5, though I can't figure out exactly how he switches between them.

It may exist somewhere already (but I've never seen one), but what I'd really like to see is a blend pot/system/somesuch that could sweep between 3 or 4 or 5 or however many pickups were possible. Like having it turned toward the neck would pull sound only from the neck pickup, and then turning it bridgeward would start to increase, sequentially, the signal from the others. Make any sense? That's what I want!
  8. Gianni

Jul 4, 2001
    Palermo - Italia
    I have 4 independent volumes.

9. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

maybe he as a strat-like switch, but just with far more combos
  10. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Bootsy explained all of this in an issue of Bass Player a few years back, but I can't remember specifics. I do know that he does something like four levels of biamping (quadamping?) and that each pickup might have its own output for this purpose.

It should be noted that Reverend's Brad Houser bass had two clusters of two J pickups (for a total of four), which could be run as humbuckers or single coil.
  11. Maybe three pickups would be more appropriate for the new Fender Jaguar Bass. Not that I'd want to hack one up the minute I got it, or retain the Fender Custom Shop to build one now...:)

I was looking on a Teisco web site and one page in there talks about a 4-pickup Teisco and all the tonal possibilities (such as they were for a teisco). I'd do the math if I had enough brain cells online today...