Three basses, eighty songs - seeking programmable preamp...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mikewalker, Oct 15, 2017.

1. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    IMG_20170701_120726.jpg

Currently using VOX Tonelab SE which has 96 patch presets, sends out midi patch change, and is very usable, if a little large. (In the pic above it's feeding an amp behind me, and the amp's DI is going to FOH...)

I've been using these units since 2003, mostly for guitar (they were designed with guitar in mind). But now that I'm playing bass guitar through it, the EQ isn't really doing it for me .

Is there something more modern out there that has more than 50 patch slots, a decent compressor, and parametric EQ? A tweakable high-pass filter plus three bands of fully-parametric EQ would be the cat's meow...

PS: the basic idea is to pre-program 1 patch per song. Then there wouldn't be the wholesale fussing with EQ knobs every time I switch basses...

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  2. Line 6 Helix?

mikewalker likes this.
  3. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    :thumbsup: Yeah, that looks like the ticket... 1000 patches, various comps, parametric EQ, hi-pass filter.
    Too bad it costs 2000 bux and has 50 other things I don't need (digital audio interface, mic in, variax in, sends/returns...)
    Maybe they have a stripped down model... :unsure:

4. ^ maybe look used? Zoom B3 is the usual cheap recommendation

mikewalker likes this.
  5. ChubbyJerk

ChubbyJerk

Apr 23, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Helix LT

mikewalker likes this.
  6. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007