Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Three Chords... and the truth

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tuBass, Jun 13, 2003.

1. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    That's how country music has been described.

Before any of you start bashing country for it's simplistic chord structure, or basic bass lines, there is a show you need to watch. It's Called "The 100 greatest songs in country music" and it's going to be on CMT tomorrow. It's 6 hours long, and I don't claim that all 100 are songs that I personally find of particular importance, but probably 80% of them are some of the finest examples of song writing ever to come out of modern music. Just try to watch the top 30 songs, or the top 12, which are done live, without being impressed.

I like music that doesn't feel the need to be loud or crude, and I would have been honored to be a part of any of the songs on the countdown, even as a bass player playing 1-4-5-1.

Mark

2. I would never see nor bash country as 3 chord music...

punk on the other hand....

Merls

3. You can't judge me!
    I'll be who I wanna!
    You can't judge me!
    Because I know I'm not a goner!
    You can't judge me!
    Because I'm punk rock and I'm awesome.

4. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    yo Will, lighten up! In defense of my music all punk lyrics aren't like that. Alot of them wouldn't even talk like that. Honestly i think there are a few punk bands out there that give the rest of them bad names.

But yeah, as far as three chord bashing goes, definatly punk lol. But i love it.

And so i'm at least somewhat on topic, i dont think you could describe country as three chord, especially when they have so many instruments going at once. I'll prolly wanna shoot myself later for saying this but i actually dig some country music. Rascall flats is an incredible band, i dont listen to them because their singer makes me want to shoot myself. I suppose i just hate the accents of most of the vocalist.

5. I wasn't being serious. Just making a ruckus. I have too much love for merls to be even mildly jerkish to him.

See merls? LOVE!:) :) :)

6. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    If you look at those cats in nashville making $80k (or whatever) a year, it kind of shows that it is the subtle things that count.

7. Hmmm Love eh? I'm touched.. truly. :rolleyes:

Yknow what made me laugh? The line "Because I'm punk rock and I'm awesome."

hehehe If there's no other candidates on monday i'll put it as quote of the week...

:D:D

Merls

8. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    The title of this thread is a phrase that has been around for decades, and was a badge worn proudly by early country and bluegrass musicians. Since then it has been adopted by rock bands like U2, folk, and christian music.
    Go to google and type in "three chords and the truth" and look at some of the results. It's pretty interesting.

I certainly didn't start this thread to bash any other form of music. Of all things, it took a moderator making a joke to start that ball rolling. :rolleyes:

All I wanted to do was promote a music special of TV that I found facinating, and wanted to share it with everybody.