1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

THREE Fender Performer basses on eBay at the same time

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Siff, May 2, 2006.

1. Man. I want to snag one of these. The copper-colored one. I know, they're sinfully ugly. I can't help it. The Reverend lover in me wants this bass. Sadly, it is not to be. Anyone else?
    (I'm not linking to them 'cause I wasn't sure if that's allowed. Go to ebay and type in Fender Performer and they come right up.)

2. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    people post links to ebay all the time. go ahead. if you get in trouble blame it on me *jumps in plane and flies to mexico laughing histarically*

3. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Definately, would have to have been made in the 80's. :smug:

They look cool I'd like to play one, but you don't see them much (except now of course).

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Are you feeling ok?

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I love those, they were already in my "watch list" on ebay. It's just the "gotta be different" in me.

6. those sure are "unique"

but why does your inner reverend lover want one?
    they don't look a thing like reverends to my eyes

7. Wow, seems like the asking prices for those have taken a quantum leap in the last year or so?

I always thought they looked 'peculiar' enough for people to want them someday. Guess that day has come.

8. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I had forgoten all about those. Haven't seen one in 20 years I bet. Yup they sure are "unique" ;)

9. The Performer looks different than the Reverend, but they're both a bit bizarre. That characteristic appeals to me. I like Italia basses for the same reason. The bass still has to play and sound great, though, and I've never played a Performer so I'm not sure I'd really dig it. But, I've heard good things about them.

10. lbpark

lbpark

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    When it rains, it pours...especially on ebay.

11. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I'd buy one of those before I bought most other modern Fenders.

12. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    D.C.
    I don't mind them, a friend of mine had the guitar version for a while, I thought it was pretty cool. What would they sound like?

13. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    That would be the first bass I've seen where I'd actually say that the main thing that would keep me from checking out the instrument is how the pickups look. :eyebrow:

14. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    I remember those basses. I always thought they looked like George Jetson's bass. If he had a bass, that's what it'd be. That's my story and I'm sticking to it....

15. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Kind of looks like a BC Rich on drugs.....:smug:

16. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Don't know how I ever missed those... unless maybe it was because I wanted to. What a monumental Fender mistake!

17. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    I actually just snagged one. It had been at atomic music in college park, md for a long time and then they tried selling it on ebay, but couldn't get their asking price so I walked in and bought it. It's pretty beat up, but I don't really care about the cosmetics.

When I was in high school and was sick of my short-scale musicmaster (if only I knew what it would be worth today!), I went to Sam Ash in Paramus, NJ looking for my first "real" bass. I was a Rickenbacker fan (Chris Squire, Geddy Lee) and hated the fender tone. But, the guy there tried to sell me this 24 fret fender. I remember liking it, but couldn't reconcile the idea of owning another hated fender (plus it cost more than I could afford). I forgot the name of the bass, but always remembered it as being the only fender I ever really liked (though I did own a nice fretless jazz for a while).

Well, now that I have a Performer, I can tell you why I like it:
    it is the most un-fender fender bass ever produced. It is very light weight. The neck is ridiculously thin and much more similar to a 60's Vox (or Hofner) than any fender. With 24 frets, it is so much easier to play in the upper register than a Jazz or a P-bass. And the tone? Like nothing I've ever heard from fender. It's unique. It's definitely a "modern" tone, but it can get a nice thump. It reminds me at times of a Musicman Sabre, a Wal, and an Alembic all rolled into one.

I've only had it a short while and it sounds great through my rig. The real question for me is how it sounds recorded. I can't wait to find out!

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That thing looks grody to the max. Gag me with a spoon.

19. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I can't believe all of the negative comments about these. I love the look of them, and I'm usually all about smooth and curvy. No points for me usually.