Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

three finger excersises

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by willkt6, Feb 26, 2006.

1. willkt6

willkt6

Sep 27, 2005
    ok i have realised my three finger playing is even worse than I thought it was, so can anyone give me tips for building finger strength and getting an even sound from all fingers? i can do triplets ok, its the contsant playing that sounds really bad.

2. i clicked on a new thread and i saw that this topic is opened ...
    so ... i have a same problem like willkt6 ... just , i can play constantly , but somethimes i just can't do it and i start playing triplets ...

3. willkt6

willkt6

Sep 27, 2005
    I also seem to get finger noise, like a scratch, but when i attack the string harder it goes. I don't get this with two fingers. am i pressing too lightly?

4. 3 finger technique is really difficult to achieve without constant practice, my recommendations are:

First try to learn to play eight notes with this pattern:

mrmrmrmr then rmrmrmrm and finally imrimrim or imrmimrm

The letters stand for:
    I: index finger
    M: Middle
    R: Ring

5. what about rmirmirmirmi!?!

6. Headbanger: what about rmirmirmirmi!?!
    Of course, you can use that one to get a triplet feeling à la Iron Maiden
    You can do as many combinations as you want!

7. It's personally a lot easier for my brain to compartmentalize going 3-2-1-2 for a four-note group- erm, rmim if you will.

8. you can ge even 16ths from that pattern too, it just takes practice. but, ya whatever works...do whatever you feel comfortable.

9. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    R-M-I works best for me. It's taken a while, but I can finally assign different notes to each attack and hear them all clearly. It's opened up my playing immensely.

10. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    is the or important?
    I mean is it important to stick with one of these two techniques?
    Any tips for my brain? It's weird for me to play four note things with three fingers... i think it's got something to do with thinking it... I can't explain it well:eyebrow:

11. Tomass

Tomass

Nov 1, 2005
    ok the way i learnt was to do major scales and adding the 3rd finger for when u got 1-2-4--1-3-4 but also i used this little exercise i came up with it goes

G--9---9-8-7--9------------9-----------------------7-8-9
    D----8-----------8---9-8-7---8---------------7-8-9------
    A------7-----------7-----------7---9-8-7-8-9------------
    E

BTW irmrimrim means Index Ring Middle etc

12. willkt6

willkt6

Sep 27, 2005
    thanks guys, i'll try the lot. i can do rmi triplets quite easily, a la trooper, but its the straight 16ths the kill me. i do 8ths with 2 fingers for consistency but i cant cope with 3 :| im easily bored, so i keep trying to jump ahead. ill just get a metronome, and take it slow.

13. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    What's been valuable to me is to use R-M for quick TWO-note bursts. That way I still have my index left-over to either MUTE the second (M) note, OR to hit a lower note (often an octave-down) right-after.

Joe

14. Well, there are a lot of ways to approach to the 3 finger technique.
    I used the imrm, because it helps a lot when playing 16th notes at really fast tempo, and I wrote imrm an d not 123 because that the notation used in classical music sheets, the numbers are used to indicate the left hand fingering
    Maybe you should try the exercises on this website (By the GREAT Steve Bailey. http://www.stevebaileybass.com/

15. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    same here with me :meh: :smug:

16. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    I do that too!!

17. i practiced , practiced and practiced ... and i got better ... but ... there is always room for more x)

btw , thnx guys !

18. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    I wish i could play with three fingers all the time consistently, but right now my ring finger just plays a note whenever it feels comfortable.

19. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    hahaha
    Same here:)
    It bugs me a bit though

20. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I tried to adapt this technique, but it offers only benefits on the issue of duration, since your fingers don't get tired as quickly. Speed isn't really a benefit, I play faster and more regular with 2 fingers. And Sean Malone and Jeff Berlin use 2 fingers exlusively, so why bother? ;)