three finger triplet pedalling

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bassuser35, Apr 18, 2004.

1. bassuser35

Mar 25, 2004
    if you're playing with three fingers on the right hand and doing a line like this:
    what's the best method to go about this especially if you're firing off the e string pedal at a really fast triplet pace (like slayer's main riff for war ensemble). Do you hit the a string with middle finger then do the triplet on the e going rmi or is there a better method. What do you guys think?
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Just went and got my bass and tried the riff. Use the open A instead of the fretted A at the fifth fret of the E string.

I played (A string) 7000500070008000 etc. I used a index-ring-middle-index pattern. Hope that helped.
  3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I end up hitting the high string with my third finger (the one next to the pinky). And, there's a rotation of that finger in with the others while doing triplets. If you work it out, you'll see that the third finger hits the high string every other time. Anyway, that's "my" method. It takes a little practice at first, but it's very natural once you get it.

Edit: okay, sorry, I goofed. Brain fart. You can do this with only two fingers. I do it with my first and third fingers. You alternate every note, so when it cycles through you end up hitting the high string every other time with your third finger. That's it. Sorry for the goof.
  4. Tiwaz

Sep 22, 2002
    I'd use this right-hand pattern: