Three finger!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by fleabass89, Oct 19, 2000.

1. I can't seem to be able to do three-finger "gallops". I play with 2 fingers (pointer and middle) and am very fast, but i want to learn three so i can do some funky triplets:D anyway, because my ring finger is so much shorter than my middle finger, i can't get it right. Plus, pointer fingers are naturally not as strong as middle fingers because they share the same muscle with your pinkey or something. How did everyone that plays wuth three fingers get it right? I've practiced ALOT and i do it very slowly trying to be accurate but i can't get it.

2. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    The way i learned to play with 3 was simply out of necessity, my index finger was bleeding and i had to play a gig. I had to learn pretty quickly. But seriously, try and play just the E string with 3 fingers. You will have to consciously think about using your ring finger at first, but soon it will become a reflex. Or, if you still have trouble, play with your 3rd and 4th fingers(middle and ring). Once you can use those two together, try and throw the index back in. This was how i learned. If neither of these work, then as a last ditch try taping your middle finger to your ring so that at least it gets some movement and touches the strings. It might not work at first, but keep practicing.