Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Three fingers excercise

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Geo313, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Geo313

Geo313

Jul 17, 2004
    Regarding the so much talked-about use of three fingers with the right (plucking) hand, here's an exercise that worked, and still does for me.
    It's just the same old broken thirds exercise but played with three fingers rather than the usual M-I pattern. The good thing about this is that you get to practice two different patterns:
    M-I-R ascending
    R-I-M descending
    you also get to work skipping/alternating strings rather than doing the usual tripplet-like pattern on one string.
    I think that what helped and helps me a lot with this is that I come from studying classical guitar technique, which makes plenty of use of the ring finger along with index and middle when playing arpeggios, which are also played with several fingering combinations.
    Hope this helps, if so, I'd like you guys to let me know.
    Regards.

Attached Files:

2. willkt6

willkt6

Sep 27, 2005
    thanks ill definately give that a try

3. Geo313

Geo313

Jul 17, 2004
    Ok, my apologies to the villagers and here's the director's cut. Hope you enjoy.

Attached Files:

4. forfenderjazz

forfenderjazz

Jan 22, 2006
    Thanks GEO313, I came over looking for a new exercise and here it was here waiting for me. Roy

5. Geo313

Geo313

Jul 17, 2004
  6. smartinson

smartinson

Dec 15, 2005
    Bettendorf, IA
    I like that method. I have been using something slightly different. The pattern is essentially I-M-R-M-I or variations of that pattern. For me, it helped me smooth my sound when trying to play fast and it helps my longevity as well.