Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Three fingers picking in right hand!

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by Coleman, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Coleman

Coleman

Oct 13, 2001
    Hong Kong
    i am learning this now, but feel some uncomfortable in cross picking,could anyone help me and suggest the fingering?

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

I think it's good to learn all types of way of plucking. I use thumb and pointer finger, thumb and middle finger, just thumb, just pointer and middle, just pointer (ala james jamerson), pointer plus middle plus ring fingers - all three at once, to make as much contact w/the string as possible. pick too. the more techniques you get down, the more assets you have to approach a solution to what you're trying to get the bass to do. in my opinion, there's no one way to pluck the bass "correct" - it's a highly personal thing. different bass parts and textures come from the different ways it's actuated. I would consider this more essential than a sound effect, like from a stomp box. also, where you meet the string is quite important - close to the fret board or near the bridge and anywhere in between. the more you experiment w/this kind of thing, the more versatile your ability to control the "voice" of the bass. oh - I forget slapping! sometimes there's a need for that too!

move away for techniques that feel uncomfortable though (if it stays that way for a while) cuz it might lead to getting hurt - that's one thing you definitelly don't want.

on bass, watt