three finguer technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Hiro, Jan 20, 2004.

1. I´m interested in how to play the electric bass with three finger, my name is Sergio and i play bass for a ayear, can you tell me the basics(Exercises, how to anchor, the finguer movemente order....) for this speedy technique?;)
  2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I always play finger style with two fingers and I feel that I can be as fast as I need to be. Sometimes when I'm playing slap / pop style I'll use three fingers to pop a quick triplet. When I pop with three fingers, I lead with my ring finger.
  3. You could try the Steve DiGiorgio method, which goes like this:

...where 1 is your index, 2 is your middle finger, and 3 is your ring finger. Good luck!
  4. steve digiorgio rules ;)
    i'm still having trouble with the three finger technique which is needed for a lot of the stuff i'm required to play. i'm forced to resort to slurring (not plucking every note :p) which i'd rather not do when playing fast.
    any ideas for exercises to help improve theis technique please?:bassist: :bassist:
  5. zilla04

Feb 11, 2000
    Go to and search for "Hang Ten on Bass".

I recently got into playing with all five fingers.... but I'm slacking on the pinky work.

If you think it's stupid to do this, you're way wrong.... Trust me, just tape you're fingers.... it works. Try it at least once. You'll feel the difference.
  6. JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    try get good at 1-2-1-2-1-2, then move to 1-3-1-3-1-3 to get your ring strong. then use all 3
  7. Yeah i´m getting used to play with 1-3 and then the 3-2-1-2-3 instead of 1-2-3-2-1 ( in fact, it´s the same thing... ) but i dont have so many strong at plucking the strings with my 3 finguers, as i dont have a good speed at 3 finguer playing, how can i improve my speed&strenght? i think with the time....:meh:
  8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I think 12321 is a bad idea, since you "change direction" with the fingers. Very clumsy IME.

I personally think 321321 is the most useful.
    Ever paid attention to how you drum your fingers on a table? It'll almost always be like this: You start with the pinky, then ring, middle, index.
    So I think it's pretty reasonable to conclude that this is the most "natural" pattern to use.
  9. yeah it works cool, i prefer 32123 but i dont understand why people say (most) that you can play faster than with 2 fnguers.... it must require a lot of practice, taking into acocount that you need to push the strings with the same strenght than when you are playing with 2 fingers!!
  10. my main problem is when the fingers on the fretting hand are moving in opposite directions from the other hand. i mean : 1221 on the fretboard and 1212 on the other hand.. (simple example just to explain) any ideas on how to overcome the problem please?:bawl: :bawl: