Three Great Bassist's

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by hotdbass, May 23, 2004.

1. This not a commercial for Lemur, they do fine on their. Just a report on Three Great Bassist's

Jerry and Tony Buffa owners of Lemur Music along with their fine staff put on a great Open House on May 22. They were celebrating the expansion of their facilities along with setting up a more retail "walk in" double bass music. I'm lucky enough to live about thirty minutes from their shop and spend more time and money there than I probably should.

In addition to an exciting day of food, drink, and discounts they brought in three great bassist's to perform. First off, Kristin Korb did some fine singing and playing. Her vocalise and double bass technical facilty were really good.The second performer, Giovanni Tommaso came out and played one of Lemurs vintage italian basses,a Rocco, man,the guy was pretty "outside" . I picked up a compilation CD of his called "I've been around" it covers 1960 to present performaces, with many great musicians. Finally, if you have not heard of Fredrick Charlton, please check him out. He played several pieces from his new CD "Partitas for Unaccompanied Violin" which he arranged for double bass. I think Lemur might have more in stock, but after his performace they were going fast. I think he said he has now published the arrangments. Needless to say,after the day was over I was very satisfied. Heck, I even won a "Helicore" t-shirt
  2. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    hybrid or orchestral ? what colour your t-shirt ?

Three Bassists, Three Tenors... some weading gig can't be turned down. Man, I would have loved to drive 30 min down the road and check them out, lucky you. Lemur is very far away but I get sheet music from them delivered efficiently to my mailbox instead of doing a 30min train ride to specialized Parisian music bookstores. Go figure! I remember a few years ago that poeple would complain about Lemur not being up to date about internet and stuff. Not any more, go figure...
  3. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    Jerry and Tony and their wonderful Lemur staff's Open House was well worth the drive. Attendence was well beyond their expectations. I'm sure they were all pleased at the good turnout. What a great opportunity to hear three great bassists with varying styles up close. Each performer's unique style was a reminder of the endless possibilities of the double bass. Also had lots of time for networking and even won a hat.

I hope they make this a recurring event. :hyper: