1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Three of a Perfect Pair Music camp w/Tony Levin 2016

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Mark Plays Bass, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Mark Plays Bass

Mark Plays Bass If I practiced, then life is good! Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Bronx, NY
    I realize that I may be posting this in the wrong forum, but "Bass Humor & Gig Stories" seems like a much more social and fun forum than "Miscellaneous", so my apologies in advance. Mods, please move this if you see fit. Thank you.
    ~~~ ~~~ ~~~

Is anyone from TalkBass going to the Three of a Perfect Pair Music camp with Tony Levin and the members of Stickmen next week?

I'm going for my first time. I'm really looking forward to it, but I'm a little hesitant too. I don't have much experience performing or even jamming in a large group setting. I started playing bass just before I turned 50 about eight years ago and I can be a bit insecure about my playing. (OMG, I must be the first insecure musician ever!)

Any reports from previous years attendees? Encouragement is welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mark

nixdad likes this.
  2. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Go for it .. Think of it this way... out in the audience how many people do you think can play bass? Not many if any, right? So you have the advantage no matter how well or bad you play. You're the one on the stage, not them... so play for yourself and it will be fine. People don't really listen to the bass like they would the lead guitar player, they just feel it. You hold it all together at the low end. ;) Just another little tip from your uncle Dbase.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  3. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Go and have fun. Looks like a good time thing to do.

nixdad and Mark Plays Bass like this.
  4. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    I would more that love to go but this is my busy season.

5. Unless you transpose Elephant Talk to a 4 string fretless bass and play it with his funk fingers, Levin will never respect you.
    Just kidding
    Have fun and don't stress it. I wish I could go to something like that.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    nixdad, NealBass and Mark Plays Bass like this.
  6. SWRnut

SWRnut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Columbia, SC
    One of my all time favorite players for style and tone. I think you will have a great time. Don't sweat it.

Mark Plays Bass and nixdad like this.
  7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    No, but I did attend Victor Wooten's camp some years back. There was Vic, Adam Nottingham, Steve Bailey, the Pastor Pastorious boys, and dozens of other amazing musicians there. There was also a 15 year old girl who had been playing about 6 months. I was out classed......and had a BALL!

Bass players, generally, are not ego trippers. You'll be fine. Report back when it's over!!

8. Mark Plays Bass

Mark Plays Bass If I practiced, then life is good! Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Bronx, NY
    Hi All - Well I attended the camp and had a good experience. Playing in public wasn't an issue as the sign-up sheets for the evening "jams" filled up quickly and didn't have any songs I knew how to play. I wish I had known ahead of time. I would have loved to prepared some music to play.

Even Tony Levin's classes weren't that playing oriented. The was lots of questions and answer with excellent insights and fabulous road stories from his career.

If anyone want more info about the camp, please PM me. I'm planning on attending next summer as well.

Thanks for all your support and encouragement!
    Mark

BassCliff and Gazman like this.
  9. Hotblack

Hotblack Pay the cost to be the boss. Supporting Member

May 20, 2002
    Provided content for Genzler Amplification
    Tell us about some of the other attendees. Friendly? Welcoming?
    How were the accommodations? Meals?
    What were the non-music activities like? Was is a generally pleasant vibe?

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021