1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Three of the perfect pair. Compressors.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Driven Crane, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    1 Empress Compressor
    2 MXR M-87
    3 ?

Are there any other opinions?

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for. The Empress and MXR are both very transparent comps with good visual metering. Are you looking for another along those lines or just high quality bass compressors?

3. gsquare

gsquare Pedal Breeders' BIGBoardClub#104;CabronitaClub#8 Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Peoria, AZ
  4. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    1. FEA Opti-Fet
    2. Diamond BCP-1
    3. AnalogMan Juicer

5. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    I'm not looking for, coz i've found. Empress. But... It may not be enough for me...

6. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Oh! That's really explains it

;)

7. Reverend T

Reverend T

Mar 26, 2012
    My top three picks would be:

Diamond BCP-1
    FEA Labs - Option FET (mine is due later this year)
    Empress Compressor

(Markbass compressore a close fourth, lost out cause of the size).

8. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    In my recent search for a compressor I tried many units looking for the best 'bang for buck'. My top three would be, in order;

1: Markbass Compressore (Markbass Compressore
    2: Boss LMB-3 (really!) Boss LMB-3
    3: Wampler EGO (Wampler Ego

My requirements were perhaps not those of the typical bass player, as it was for the bass side of the Stick (where it is not uncommon to have up to three or four strings sounding at once) in front of an envelope filter. The point is that the overall level varies considerably depending on how many notes are being played hence the need for wide-ranging threshold and ratio controls - regardless of how many strings are sounding strings I don't want the E/F going out of control. The EGO made it to the list because the blend control came close to giving me what I needed (and the build quality). Given endless $$ and pedal-board real-estate I would have gone with the Markbass but in the end the Boss actually turned out to be the right choice - the slight loss of highs is not important once the E/F is engaged.

Included in the search and not short-listed were the Rothwell Love Squeeze (close 4th), Xotic SP-2 (distant 5th) and MXR Super Comp (very distant 6th).

warrplayer likes this.
  9. Bpb

Bpb

Jan 6, 2014
    +1 on the markbasss compressore. I may just still be new to it, but it's my favorite thing I've purchased for my rig since my bass itself

10. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

1. Keeley Bassist Limiting Amplifier

2. Wampler Ego

3. Boss CS-3 (It's super trendy to hate this pedal, but I'm not super trendy)

warrplayer likes this.
  11. QuickNasty

QuickNasty

Jul 29, 2012
    Seymour Duncan Studio Bass.

12. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Real bass players don't need compression. It's all in your touch.

I am loving me some Keeley Bassist, FWIW

13. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    I am unreal bass player and suddenly... i use compressor, reverberator and anything i may use.

14. I played for decades without a compressor... then on a whim bought a M87 and it changed my life... ;-)

MattStonewall likes this.