1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Three Part Harmony

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Kronde, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Kronde

Kronde

Feb 1, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Have started playing in an acoustic group as of late and the vocals are definately the strong suit. Does anyone have any suggestions of songs with 3 part harmony that have gone over well...or songs that have been adapted for 3 part that were well received...

Instrument wise we are in the bgrass realm but we are not afraid to tackle rock and country songs.

2. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Horsham, Pa
    I recommend a band called Red Molly.

3. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    "Seven Bridges Road" by the Eagles, "Amy" by Pure Prarie League are a couple that come to mind.

4. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    Almost everything by Crosby Stills Nash & Young.

5. Kronde

Kronde

Feb 1, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    we are already doing 7 bridges and amie...the csny is a great suggestion.

6. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    "Bring it on Home to Me" by Sam Cooke is one that always seems to go over, if you do it right.

Another one is an older song by The Falcons, "You're So Fine"

7. You can add songs to your list by finding those that might sound good with the extra voices.

Like Radio head, any vocal jazz arrangement, and please do your arrangements so you can get YOUR sound out there. It is awesome and we need to have more folks doing that kind of thing...IMHO

8. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    almost anything by the band....

"The Weight" is probably their best known, and it went over real well with the crowd when I saw Rat Dog cover it.

9. Kronde

Kronde

Feb 1, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    great suggestions - we are already doing the weight as well - it went over great this weekend (its debut for us).

10. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    BG version of Eleanor Rigby.

11. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    "Uncle John's Band", GD.

12. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    Los Lonely Boys have some pretty tight harmony. I'm not sure how this fits into your genres but i'm sure you could adapt a song or two to work

13. Kronde

Kronde

Feb 1, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    hmmm, I like the idea of uncle john's band and eleanor rigby - I think those would fit quite nicely. Thanks for all the great suggestions. I think I might be able mine this thread for several songs :)

14. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Lots of Eagles, Beatles tunes have 2 & 3 part harmony, especially 2 part harmony in the background.

15. Lunchbox4u_6

Lunchbox4u_6

Dec 1, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    A lot of Yonder Mountain and Old Crow Medicine Show songs have cool harmonies...check out Methamphetamine by Old Crow...

16. Kronde

Kronde

Feb 1, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    we already do a similar version of wagon wheel as ol' crow - north carolina themed song that goes over well with local audiences. great suggestion though

17. "Nowhere Man" by The Beatles

18. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Poco (Good Feelin' to Know, many others) Hamilton, Joe Frank and Reynolds (Don't Pull Your Love,) Looking Glass (Brandy,) America (take your pick,) Loggins & Messina, Buffalo Springfield, etc.

19. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    The Byrds - maybe something off of "Sweetheart of the Rodeo"

20. Check out the Dirt Band --- they have a couple of CDs with worthy material.. they were never famous enough to be over played. "20 years of dirt" and "greatest hits 2" have some very tight harmonies.

"Modern Day Romance" is one ofthe coolest tunes written...

second thought

Check out Indigo Girls "Galileo" it may be the single best written folky tune out there.