Three-pickup basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmantele, Jan 24, 2004.

1. bassmantele

Jul 22, 2003
    Boston MA USA
    I think I've seen a P/J/J bass. Are there any Strat-type basses with three Js?
  2. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    The Schecter Hellcat has 3 lipstick pickups.
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    LeFay makes a three-pickup bass-I believe it's the Remington model.

There's also the Burns Bison bass.
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    fatdawg makes a 3xjazz bass. Fretless, if I remember correctlyq
  5. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    PRS made a three pickup bass, I don't know if they still do.
  6. Yup, the p'ups go J/P/J

Good initials if you think about it.
  7. bassmantele

Jul 22, 2003
    Boston MA USA

Ummm... oh yeah. :D
  8. my grabber 3 has 3 piezo style "jazz" pups
  9. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
  10. also remember... when buying a bass, the more pickups, the better the bass! the btter you will be!

:D :p
  11. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    Fender made the HM (heavy metal) basses with 3 Jazz p/ups. It had a P-bass body with a Jazz neck, I think. There is a 5'er on Ebay right now, if I'm not mistaken.
  12. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

My Burns Bison has 3.

The original London Bisons in the 60's always had 3. Jim Burns was WAY ahead of his time!
  13. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    If three is good, is five better?

14. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    BINGO! :D :bassist:
  15. emre03

Sep 18, 2000
    Funny, i've heard the exact opposite, in a bass the more pickups might mean the less sound. I think its because the increased radius of the strings that cause this, but in a bass the tone doesn't change dramatically from neck to brdige so the most variety in tone you can get, you can get with two pups. j/p/j might give a variety but it wouldn't be mostly because of the placement but because of the tonal difference of a j and a p. And don't forget, if it would be something good, most manifacturers might have done it. And also don't forget that leo fender put three in a strat and only one in a "p" and stingray, and only two in a jazz and gl2000, that must mean something.Also many luthiers design their basses with two pups and say that they give enough versatility to the bass (ie.: JP):)
    (most of this is quoted from rickbass's pm :D)
  16. i was being sarcastic, just so you know- its from a thread about idiotically [is that even a word?] retarded.

anyway personally it really doesnt make that much of a difference to me. however, the sound of those pups make is what does.
  17. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    oh and if it has like 25 strings its like... hallelujah! Yknow... man totally rad!
  18. emre03

Sep 18, 2000
    Soryy, i took it really literally coz i was thinking about putting in three pups in my bass really seriouslyh about 3 months ago, but then decided not to do it....
  19. bassmantele

Jul 22, 2003
    Boston MA USA