1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Three-pickup basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmantele, Jan 24, 2004.

1. retarded... salesmen, ssorry. was ina bad mood this morning. ;)

2. joerosen

joerosen

Jan 30, 2002
    Tel-Aviv, Israel
    4004LK. Though the standart version has only 2 PU's, the one Lemmy actually plays has 3 humbuckers.

3. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    This is a '76 Gibson G-3 with (original)Bill Lawrence pickups. This is one of my favorite basses all around, particularly in the sound department. Fat and clear!

[​IMG]

4. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Basslab. Any model can be equipped with dual HB's or three singlecoils, at the same price. Oh, BTW, the singles are also humcancelling...
    And you can actually get as many pup's as there is room for, if that's your fetish:rolleyes:

5. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Finally found a pic of the Burns Bison {Club
    Series}. This is TB after all, and we want pics.

I have this model in black, which is the
    '63 reissue MIK.

[​IMG]

6. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Trip Wamsley has a bass or two retrofitted with a third pickup. His 3-pup Alembic Epic sounds awesome - he gets this very unique sounding slap tone outta that thing that just floors me.

7. john keates

john keates

May 20, 2004
    The clover Avenger has three pickups:

http://www.cloverbasses.com/index.php?id=9&bass=27

You can use the bridge pickups like a musicman and select series or parallel so it is like having a MM/J configuration. The pickups are in-line humbuckers and each can be soloed. Wouldn't mind giving one a spin.

There can be a problem with having too many pickups where the magnets take too much energy from the strings (string-pull) but I am thinking that three J pickups would cause less string-pull than two humbuckers... other things being equal.

8. Wow, talk about reviving an old thread

9. john keates

john keates

May 20, 2004
    I googled it. Didn't know how old it was.

10. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    91_white_.

91_red_.

ralphejl.

greenday.

bird_VII_in_a_bar.

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    The Trace Elliot Barracuda bass has three pickups. Amazing little basses.

12. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    Many of the 3 pickup basses use the middle one as dummy coil for hum canceling purposes (PRS and Trace Elliot Bass IIRC). Apart from the above mentioned 3 (fully functional) pickup basses, the Manne Trea is on trully versatile 3 J pickup bass. I own the one showing on the webside (mahogany body, maple top, ash neck, phenolic board). It goes anywhere from upright sound to J territory in a breeze

13. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    My Phantom custom has 3 pickups.
    ouchnbc041.
    ouchnbc040.
    ouchnbc038.

14. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    There are Clover basses with three pickups IIRC

EDIT: Hadn't checked the second page and I've been beaten.

15. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    Must be time for me to post this one again :D:

82cd6162.

Nigel Tuffnel (of "Spinal Tap")'s yellow peril.

Also, it's already been mentioned, but PRS makes a rather expensive (and unpopular :meh:) 3 pickup bass:

612c84cd.

16. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    You sure about the PRS? I remember reading a Craig Anderton review of that bass & I'm fairly certain he described them all as being active (sound-producing) pickups. (Incidentally, Anderton also described that instrument as the "second best bass I've ever played in my life" ...with the best being a Steinberger L-2!)

Alembic Series I and Series II instruments are a great example of a middle dummy coil.

The original Modulus Graphite Quantum 6 neck thru model had three Bartolini mini-soapbar pickups.

(edit: and an old buddy of mine had a Rickenbacker 4001 with a 3rd pickup, a Bartolini 6S. Since the 6S was specifically designed to fit into a Rickenbacker bridge, replacing the foam string mute, presumably a lot of other folks have 3-pickup Ricks.)

17. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Oh wait, I forget. These basses were two pickups with a dummy coil like Alembic use, IIRC.

18. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    We've done triple pickup setups in Benaventes for quite sometime now and its always an eye opener for many to see how flexible and the tone a triple pickup instrument allows the player. We set ours up with volume for each pickup, so you can roll in and out any configuration. I even have a quad pickup setup Chris is building me for NAMM.

There are many other's that are doing triple setups and more in the Highend bass market now.
    Lefay
    Clover
    LEJ
    Alfonso Iturra
    Atlansia
    etc.

I think the multi pickup set has to be planned correctly, its not just throwing a third or forth pickup in the bass, but it one of those things that you really have no idea of the impact it makes until you play a well design multi pickup instrument. Its like having a bass, Mid and treb pickup.....

19. My Dillion VBMB-04 has three cheap Burns knockoffs, wired in series, with an off-on switch and phase switch for each... Extreme variety of tones.... If the bass was a little better-quality (the neck warps too easily) I'd invest in actual bass Trisonics for the beasty.

new-bass-1.

20. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    If Bryan May played bass .........

;)