1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Three Pickup H/P/J Wiring Help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Gang of Fools, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Gang of Fools

Gang of Fools Guest

Jul 22, 2012
    Virginia
    Hi, I'm trying to design a three pickup bass and am having trouble figuring out how to wire it. I am hoping to wire my bass with a Curtis Novak EB-0 Pickup with coil tap, and I am also going to be purchasing a Dimarzio Spit P (Model DP127) and Dimarzio Ultra Jazz Bridge Pickup(Model DP 148) that is a split coil design. All three are hum cancelling. I was wondering if one: Is it possible to coil tap all three pickups?, two: How would you guys suggest I wire it? and three:Is it possible to have a master series parrallel and master Reverse Phase switch?I was hoping to use three 3-way dpdt switches: one for each pickup and to wire each pickup as full pickup/off/Coil split. I have four 500k pots and two are push pull pots. I seriously am having trouble with this.If there is anything else needed to help just post what is needed and i will be glad to provide anything i forgot to mention Thank ya'll for any help!

2. Tommorichards

Tommorichards

Mar 22, 2011
    One: Yes it is possible to coil tap all three, but with the P and J, by the definition of coil tapping, you would essentially be only having the coils for a pair of strings on at one time (so either the DG coil on, or the AE coil on, if you get me), unless this is what you want.
    With regards to the EB0 pickup, you probably can, but with the layout of the coils, i dont know if this is a brilliant idea.

Two: Best way to wire it, instead of coil tapping, have parallel/series switch for the P and J pickup, but even then Parallel mode may not sound too good, maybe a bit weak without a preamp in there.
    If it was me, i'd have volumes for each pickup, and use the push/pull pots for the P and J pickup to change it from series into parallel, and use a 3-way dpdt (known as a dp3t (double pole, triple throw)) to select series/parallel/coil tap for the EB0, as well as using a volume control.

Three: The master series/parallel switch would probably be possible, but would have to be a fairly big switch (read: lots of poles), and then the volumes wouldn't work separately when in series mode.
    The reverse phase switch, again possible, but would probably need a big switch again.

If it were me, i would probably do the series/parallel for the P and J pickups, maybe coil tap to enable the DG on one pickup to be combined with the AE of another for an interesting sound; probably throw in a 3 or 4 way for the eb0 pickup; then probably some form of series/parallel switches for between pickups.

I did something similar a while ago with a MM, P, and J pickup combination bass. Basically, using three 5-way switches for the P+J, one for the MM humbucker, then one from the PJ switch and the MM switch. Pic below:

[​IMG]

Here is the wiring diagram i used (three times):

[​IMG]

If you wanted a wiring diagram for yours, it could get a bit messy. Hope this info helps.

TL: DR? Its possible, but long winded.

3. Gang of Fools

Gang of Fools Guest

Jul 22, 2012
    Virginia
    Thanks alot! Yea, now that i revised it i like the idea of individual series parrallel switches for the p+j and the three way for the EB0. I was thinking about using a jazz bass potentiometer setup with one volume for the eb0, one for the p+j combo, and a master tone. I am also interested in the coil tap of the p being either the dg coil or the ae coil, and the j being the opposite. It sounds interesting and id like a challenge. I just need help to get a wiring schem created.

4. Gang of Fools

Gang of Fools Guest

Jul 22, 2012
    Virginia
    Bump!

5. What you've described is not tapping, and tapping is not possible with any of these pickups. Coil taps are done by winding taps into the pickup coils to select a higher or lower impedance winding. What the OP seems to want is coil splitting, which is the selection of series or parallel to single coil switching. This will not be possible with a P pickup, or a split coil J, but you can, however, do series/parallel switching.

If this were my bass, I would do a series/off/parallel switch for each pickup, into one volume and one tone.

6. Gang of Fools

Gang of Fools Guest

Jul 22, 2012
    Virginia
    That is what I was gonna do. But i just decided to scrap the idea in favor of just a p/j combo. Much simpler and allows me to use the mudbucker in another project for another time.:)

Thanks for the help both of ya'll.