Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Three sides of every story

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, May 31, 2004.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    I am lucky enough to own some basses. The three basses i am currently using the most are: a 2000 Fender Precision made in usa, a '80 rickenbacker 4001 and a Reverend 'Fish.

I am an amateur player and i am nowadays playing with a rock-hard rock cover band. You know that kind of band with a loud guitar player and a louder drummer. I just want to share my opinion on how different these 3 basses perform on the band setting.

The P bass is nothing more nothing less perfect. It has the right amount of rawness, the right tone. sounds big and full and allows me to have a great tone all over the songs. It is right. Simple and right. The split coil pu is plenty of power in the bass and downer middle realm. Always present and never lost. Accept pick and fingerstyle playing and i use it with all volume and tone knobs fully open. it's an alder body one with a maple neck. Tractor like torque and power.

The Rick is less full on the bass spectrum with a more pronunced upper mids clarity and bite. I use the Rick with the bridge pu on with tone all the way open. While the P is a puncher the Rick is a knife. Less punck more clarity, it excels in cutting thru. Much more responsive and bright sounding, works great with a pick but it's really good finderstyle too. It speaks with a rumbling voice which is great with higher volume settings. An always shining killer blade.

The Reverend is a not so old bass in terms of design but for me it has the same great pedigree. It is loud and aggressive, more modern sounding the the others too. Tons of bass and highs. Big booty from the semihollow plastic body makes great for a rock and roll tone. At the same time cleaner and fuller than the P and fatter than the rick. A turbo toaster.

the three are my best basses at the moment and i just wanted to share my comments. if you have question, just ask! thanks for reading.

2. This is everything I've heard about these instruments. I own a p-bass myself, and it does get under the other insturments very nicely. I am interested in a RIC 4003, new. What do I need to know about this bass, is like a hot knife through butter, and less of a battering ram, like the P?

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Question on the 'fish. What's the neck like on it? Wide? Deep, like a vintage P, or shallow, like a modern J?

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    yes, personally i would call the P a battering ram and the Rick a knife thru butter.

even at a lower volume setting the rick CUTS.

the reverend neck is one of the most confortable i have ever played. it should be a neck insipired by ols pre CBS fender jazz, but since i have tried only a pre CBS fender i can not comment on this.
    for me it's a neck between the P bass neck and the modern J. not so thin as a jazz neck. it has a really nice shape which i find really great to play.
    i would describe the 'Fish neck like a J but wider and fatter.

5. Virus

Virus

Apr 16, 2004
    Ontario
    As once said by a drunken old rocker I met...

"Nothing rocks like an American made Fender, Fender is the only way to fly!"

Great words, but there are many ways to fly... Fender P is definately good though.