1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

three string bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bgwatts, Apr 23, 2006.

1. The other day I posted a response to the thread about "why would anybodybody want a four string".And ,just to REALY play devil's advocate,I mentioned this German Made three string bass.(Hotwire-bass.com). I was very surprised that NOBODY responded to that at all. So I'll post it again here,just for fun. Check this out ,Y'all. I think its cool. They guy who had it made seems to have just done it to spite everybody who plays more than four. But what a great way to make your point!He even performs and records with it. I'd post A link,but ,I ain't that smart. (maybe thats why I LIKE the idea of only three strings). Go to HOTWIRE-Bass.com. Click on "custom shop" and scroll down a bit and..........there it is! :p :D

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I've seen some with 2 strings.

Thats what you get for guitarists who think the bass is only for roots...

3. That wasthe first one I'd heard of . and a two string too? I had a neighbor with a single string banjo when I was a kid. I guess all the combination HAVE already been done. And I must add, If it was good enough for Tony Levin, I should be plenty good for me. I'm gonna grab my wire cutters and grab my bass right know,just to see what happens:D

4. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    if anyone remembers... Jean Baudin just posted a single string one a little while back.

look at the Krappy guitars website if you want to see under-4 string basses (AKA punk rod)

TolerancEJ likes this.
  5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Typically, early Double Basses were three string, so this is *not* a new idea. Doesn't mean it's a bad idea tho;)

6. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao EspaƱa
    I belive 5 string DB were common too, and how long did it took bassist and luthiers to actually accept the concept of a 5 string bass???

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    THREE STINGS - WOW!
    I CAN"T BELIEVE IT!
    AWESOME!

Enough excitement for ya?

8. Slash learnt how to play on a one-string guitar...

9. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Mark Sandman and Morphine

10. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

What a waste of time... and a miserable existence.

11. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    I bounce between 4, 5, 6 (and even an 8 string octave bass) and never felt the need to have less strings. Might be kind of fun.

Those Hotwire basses look pretty nice, I especially like the one he calls a "double bass" ...peizo equipped jazz style with an upright tone.

Attached Files:

12. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    Do you happen to own this hotwire double bass?

13. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    IMG_1171.

IMG_0877.

c9e4aecc-ef96-4e74-aec0-e4b132bb0ad1.

14. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    I own a snazzy green one. Electronics went to hell....but still plays beautifu

15. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    Including the piezo?? I can't find these basses anywhere.... :-\

16. Pfft... Jaco needed 4

17. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I had a fretless Solitaire , it was actually well made for what it was . Sounded good too