Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Three venerable brands: Your order of preference?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Feb 17, 2006.

1. 1- Ernie Ball MusicMan. 2- Rickenbacker. 3- Fender.

13.5%
  2. 1- Ernie Ball MusicMan. 2- Fender. 3- Rickenbacker.

20.2%
  3. 1- Rickenbacker. 2- Ernie Ball MusicMan. 3- Fender.

12.4%
  4. 1- Rickenbacker. 2- Fender. 3- Ernie Ball MusicMan.

6.4%
  5. 1- Fender. 2- Ernie Ball MusicMan. 3- Rickenbacker.

33.7%
  6. 1- Fender. 2- Rickenbacker. 3- Ernie Ball MusicMan.

13.9%
  1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

Just curious about these 3 brands' fanbase strength. Well, actually it's not necessary to be a "fan". My point is: They're highly respected. Nobody can deny their impact on the bass market but I, for one, would never buy a Fender (just maybe a pre-CBS Jazz Bass as a collector item). I don't associate myself with them. No chemistry. On the other hand, I'd consider buying a Ric in the future. DEFINITELY not for having it as my main axe (EBMM -read "Bongo"- freak here!), but I'd have a fireglo 4003 for playing certain things. Despite the fact of my obsession with 24-fret necks, Rics have always exerted kind of a magic on me. Thank you in advance for your input!

2. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I own a fender, basically because it was the cheapest decent fretless I could find at the time and I got a really good deal. But I voted #1. I love picking up an EB in a store and playing with it, they just have great feel, and lots of tone when plugged in. And hey, a Ric is just a great instrument, no two ways about it.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ernie ball - Fender (only a few models) - Rickenbacker

4. Erk. Couldn't in conscience vote.
    If these options existed, I would vote thus, and only thus:

Ric 4000 (vintage, single horseshoe) > 4001 > Fender 70's or older Jazz > Fender Japan Jazz

That's it. Just those. Wouldn't pay money for anything else, except to resell.

5. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

OOOOF.

That's a tough question there. Too many variables to consider -- there's such a wide range of variation in quality among the universe of Fender models, but you gotta give them recognition for originating the Precision and Jazz bass . . .

I have to think about this one for a while.

6. this has been my favorite poll so far.

i have a ric 4003 and a stingray and used to have a MIA p bass.

the ric is my favorite hands down, just everything about it, tone looks, playable, everything. and then the ernie ball and then my old fender. I loved it but i just didnt need it once i got my ric.

so my vote goes from, rickenbacker, ernie ball, fender P's

7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I went for Ric, then Fender then musicman....I'm in a minority!

I must say though, it was tough choosing between an Urge bass and a Ric, but I've got a Kubicki and I've just been listening to Subdivisons, so...:bassist:

8. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I voted for the wrong option.

I would have picked EBMM, then Rick, the Fender.

Graeme

9. 1. fender jazz
    2. eb stingray
    3. i dont like rics..but i had no choice

10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I believe that any poll that has fender in it is going to come out with fender being #1 simply because they've been around the longest, and have the cheapest basses. More people have expereince with them than the other 2. Soooo... going by that logic I'd be willing to bet my Bongo that in the end of this the winner of your poll will be....

Fender, MM, Rick

Although everyone here knows that quality and sound wise (which are the better basses) it's a no brainer

MM, Rick, Fender

:)

I was kidding about the Bongo, I don't gamble.

11. tonrutoo

tonrutoo

Apr 18, 2003
    Only own 2 basses,and working on my 3rd.
    First bass I ever put my money down for,and still have,is a Ric Jetglo 4003 lefty.
    Second bass I put my money on is a MM Stingray-5 Honeyburst lefty.
    Third bass I'm having custom built is basically a Mustang/'51 P-bass on steroids.
    I chose my basses methodically.I've never felt the itch to trade,and picked each for character.I don't need versatility,and I will stop at 3.
    I should point out that I'm a late starter,thus maturity lead me to be more long sighted in my decisions.

12. Simply put, Fender paved the way to EBMM so thats a no brainer for me. As for Ricks, I love the way they look and the way they sound, but IMO, there's no feeling like holding your first Fender Jazz/P.

13. Fender, EBMM, Rick.
    i am a Fender backer. i play EBMM's at GC, often. i love the look of the Bongo, but prefer the feel, and sound of the Ray.
    the Rick is a work of art. it's quality kicks the other two, out of the boat, but it's just not my sound. to my ears, nothing beats a Fender Jazz with new strings(rotosound swing bass),
    for that bright, yet aggresive, growl. Fender is my sound.
    my honest and biased, opinion. :cool:

14. Rickenbacker, EBMM, Fender, the reason being the construction, durability and tone you get from each of the instruments in the order given.

15. :spit: MM.:spit: ..BONGOs sound good though!:p

16. I voted:

1- EBMM
    2- Fender
    3- Ric

Only because I think EBMM's overall quality is better than Fender. When it comes to tone, I would put Fender just a hair ahead of EBMM, and Ric (although I like them) would have to be last.

17. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    Rickenbacker - Fender - EBMM

...but that's because I like cutting through sonically and visually a little more than being able to sound and look like what's expected.

IMO... it's all good!!!:D

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Apparently your avatar feels differently.

19. SoulMaim

SoulMaim

Dec 1, 2005
    Ontario
    ^ lol
    I really like Ricks and MMs, but personally I've been unimpressed by too many fenders. Fenders pretty much only have "vintage appeal" to me.

20. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Sound aside, you have to say as far as the instrument's quality, Ric and EB are light years ahead of fender. I'm kind of a Ric freak so may opinion may be biased.

That said I wouldn't mind one of each.

My .02 of course