Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Three warwicks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xtopher, Oct 15, 2002.

1. xtopher

xtopher

Oct 13, 2002
    Hello,

I am new to the forum. I have been playing bass for about 18 months switching from guitar. I'm playing mixed styles in a band (more detailed description see http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=Agjfixqr0ld6e). Playing about 50/50 pick and fingers, no slapping (I can't!).

At the moment I have a Steinberger Q4 mk1 which I bought mostly because of the price (£400/$600) with the idea I could get my money back easily if the bass thing didn't work out.

Really enjoying the bass thing, so now thinking of getting a five string with a more woody sound to expand my range.

I am looking at 3 Warwicks, Corvette standard active bubinga, Corvette FNA jazz and Streamer LX.

Any thoughts on what I can expect from these and what their differences are in terms of sound gratefully received.

Chris

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I have a standard active corvette (bubinga). When I bought it I compared it with lots of different Warwicks and a very knowledgable and helpful salesman helped me clearly see that this bass had more bottom end than any of the other Warwicks they had in the store. Sorry, don't remember exactly what basses I put it against, but the Thumb and Streamer MM were definitely 2 of them.

This bass has more bottom than any of my other basses (MM Sterling, P-bass and a few others), but I've got a few peaves with it. It can tend to get a little muddy in certain situations and it weighs a ton. Because of it's weight it also slips out of it's straplocks more than I'd like it to. I've replaced them and it still happens (mine has recessed straplocks though - the newer ones I don't believe do) I've found it also responds best to a light touch, and I don't play lightly too often.

I've played a bunch of FNAs and I never liked any of them. They don't sound anything like a MM to me and they just seem to be too crisp and sizzly sounding. Never played one in a band situation, but never liked any of the sounds I could coax out of them in the store. I think these probably make really good slapping basses.

If I were to do things over I think I'd get the Streamer. I think it has slightly less bottom, but it also weighs less, has a little more versatility, and cuts through the mix a little more than the Corvette. I like the way they look a little more also.

Actually if I were to do things over I'd get the Streamer Jazzman - seems to have the best of all worlds - hey wait, did you mention the Corvette Jazzman???? The Jazzman basses have lots of versatility. They're my current Warwick favs.

Hope some of this blabbering was helpful.

3. ingmar

ingmar

Oct 14, 2002
    Normandy, France
    Hi xtopher,

I used to own a Warwick Streamer Jazzman 5 and you can view my review here with some others. It has the same hissing electronics as the FNA's and while the craftsmanship is very good, I found it didn't live up to its cost.

4. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I've heard nothing but praises on the FNA Jazzman.. check them out!! But then again, I've heard nothing but praises on the Streamer LX as well.. Warwick makes some great basses! Try them out and see which one you enjoy more.

If im not mistaken, aren't the FNA Jazzes NT and the Streamer LX's BO? I forgot.. but whichever way, they will definitely rockin your boat!

Good luck and keep us updated!
    DM

5. All Jazzman are Bolt-On, Corvette or Streamer. I got a Corvette Jazzman 5 and I think it's a great bass for the money. Very well built, very good sound, good balance, and a sound of its own (moreover I use D'Addario Chromes flatwounds!). I fink it's better for fingerstyle than for classic slap (narrow string spacing, not as crystal sounding as some basses). But I have some very personnal slap sounds with it (but not the Marcus, Claypool, Clarke or whatever ...). For classic slap, nothing can beat my Pedulla (not even the Fender JazzBass, I say that because I have both)!

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    The only 'problem' with Warwicks is the MEC electrics, although I think that the internet may have made it seem that more fail than don't.

I have a Thumb BO and have not played many examples of the basses you listed.

One guy to speak to here is Warwick5S although I havent seen him around for a while. Madsubwoofer has some Warwicks but I think they are all dolphins.

Anyway pleased to meet you.

7. ingmar

ingmar

Oct 14, 2002
    Normandy, France
    CS, they use Basslines (Seymour Duncan) preamps and MEC pickups

8. xtopher

xtopher

Oct 13, 2002
    Thanks for your suggestions.

I'm probably veering towards the Corvette Jazzman.

The weight doesn't bother me — the steinberger is 10lbs+.

What about neck dive — any experience of that?

Also is there a sound the Standard has that I can't get on the Jazzman?

Chris