Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thrice - Artist in the Ambulance

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Justin V, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I've been listenening to this ever since i got it a couple weeks ago. It's so great. I especially like "Stare at the Sun" (sweet bass part in the verses) and the title track. I was just wondering what you guys thought of it.

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    "Stare at the Sun" is awesome. "Artist in the Ambulance" is awesome, too. That's definitely in the top 5 of albums I've bought this year.

3. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Bio of Thrice at the time of thier "Illusion of Safety" release. Taken from Interpunk.com:

Sorry for the short post earlier, I was just leaving to meet a study group. And sorry for the length of this one. :)
    "The Artist and the Ambulance", as I said, is definitely in the top 5 of albums I've bought this year. I'd categorize it as intelligent hard rock. I dunno. I hate the whole "let's-invent-this-genre-cause-it-makes-us-sound-important" thing. If you can (ie, if you DL songs), check out "The Artist and the Ambulance" and "The Abolition of Man". Those are good examples of the rest of the album. Most songs are between those two as far as style. Many of them sound similar, but then will go off on divergent rhythms or into some counter-melodies. As a whole, the album is very well put together, IMO.

The packing on the first issue of the album is cool, too. Each song has it's own index card with notes from the 4 band members and the producer, as well as the lyrics and a different picture you can use as the cover of the album. Neat.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Don't let the following comments discourage you; I really like this album.

A lot of their metal-ish, harmonizing guitar fills sound the same. In all the songs they use them in.

The lyrics are a bit heavy-handed and preachy at times. The special liner notes are a nice touch, and usually pretty informative. I guess it comes with the territory that they are a little self indulgent at times, as a forum to broadcast how they pulled off all of their over the top time signature changes.

Despite this, I really like the album a lot. Their radio hit, (I can't recall the title) isn't very indicative of the rest of the album. The album is better than that.

5. I love the album. They are a great live band as well. If anyone gets a chance to see them, definitly don't pass it up. I think the string arrangements on the album are awesome and add so much to the sound, unlike other bands that make it just sound flooded.

6. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Speaking of thrice live, I'm gonna be seeing them at the Warfield with Thursday in October. To say the least, I'm excited (then i get to see Bela Fleck at the Fillmore a month later hehehe).

7. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I didn't get to see them at this year's Warped, but I could hear them from backstage. I was hanging out with AFI, but after hearing Thrice perform, I actually wish I'd been able to see them, instead!

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    If it makes you feel any better, I would have rather hung out with AFI. :D

9. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I'm with Super Duck on that one. You lucky dog.

10. It is kinda similiar, but their older albums had a little more screaming and stuff. If you listen to track 8 (I think) you will hear some of what their other stuff sounded like. I'm not sure if it's 8 or not, so just search for the one where he screams all of the time. I think alltogether this album is more musical.

11. I do love me some Thrice. I havent picked up the new cd yet (shame on me) but i love their other two cds and they were amazing at warped.

Most people like Illusion Of Safety best but I prefer Identity Crisis myself.

I can't wait to see them with Thursday in november

12. Thrice is amazing. I saw them with My Chemical Romance in Kansas City. The Used played the same night somewhere else and they cut their set short to come over and stage dive while thrice was playing. Eddie Breckenridge actually played Stare at the Sun using spider tapping live. So I almost have it down perfect... but nothing competes with a deformed elbow (like he's got).

13. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I do likes me some Avenged Sevenfold. They're more on the side of the "metallic chugga-chuggas" with some "melodic guitar noodlings" and melodic vocals thrown in occasionally. If you want to check them out, look for thier "Sounding the Seventh Trumpet" album.

14. nightz

nightz

Nov 12, 2003
    brazil
    well, im looking for ALL thats Left bass tab? could someone help me with it? icq me plz.. 87069035

15. This album is awesome. I think every song is better than the last. Some of the best riffing I've heard in quite some time. "Blood Clots and Black Holes" is my favorite.

16. Gotta bump this one back up.
    I've been listening to TAITA pretty much every day, mostly in my car going to and from work. It's so heavy, and yet so intricate and melodic. Great to hear music that had so much thought and effort put into it. It makes me want to break things, and at the same time it makes me want to plant flowers and pet kittens. I just checked their site and they're coming back around here in March. I am THERE!

17. I've seen em live twice (most recently during the beginning of november) and you definitely will not regret it. They're amazingly tight together and very intense.

My favorite on the cd is probably "Under A Killing Moon" but it keeps changing for me every few days.

18. Same here. That song is so metal! Really takes me back. That's why I instantly dug "Blood Clots and Black Holes".

19. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Of all the neo-emo/whatever bands in their arena, Thrice is the only group I enjoy listening to. I believe they are head and shoulders above the bands they tour with and are lumped together with.

20. I'll agree to that. When I saw them in November, they were actually the 2nd act and the headliner was Thursday. Thursday may be good, but thrice is wayyyy better,