Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thrice's new album: For anyone who cares...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by BassGod, Oct 22, 2005.

1. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I just picked up Thrice's new album 'Vhiessu' fifty-six days after starting to count down until the day of it's release. Thrice's first three albums, IMO, were amazing. Not a bad song on any of 'em. In fact, 'The Artist In The Ambulance' is one of my favourite CDs of all time...

...But this album is just weak. Mostly boring, soft, drawn out songs, lacking the quick punch and heaviness of their older material. Where are the guitar harmonies, and simple but oh-so-cool bass lines? Even Dustin's vocals are quite weak, and it seems like he only screams to compensate for the lack of heavy riffs, rather than to accent certain parts of the songs.

There are a grand total of four good songs on this album, and they're certainly not comparable to anything from 'The Artist...'.

All in all, this album lacks everything that makes Thrice's first three albums kick so much ass. It lacks direction, the songs have no structure. They are awarded one extra point for trying something new however.

I want my forty-nine minutes back.

Final Score: 4/10

Graeme :bassist:

2. TiMMay

TiMMay

Jul 21, 2005
    I think you missed the point... I got the album, and i find the new songs refreshing than the repetitive hyper active drumming, and super charged songs to what they are used to making. listen to songs without anything in mind, forget about theyre past for a sec and accept the album as it is, the thrice you knew is still there, there are defiantly guitar harmonies (music box is one example) and nice bass ideas in there, just not in the same packaging.

Don`t put down something because its not what your used to hearing. Be open minded and listen to the music, instead of expecting what the music should sound like.

I would rate it 7.5/10 , very creative, love the keyboards! :bassist:

3. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    You may be right... I've only listened to the album once, so I'll probably give it at least a couple more spins. It just didn't seem that anything jumped out at me as being especially good.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm all for bands who like to try new things, and I think I can tell what Thrice were trying to do with this album, I just think there are some things that could've been changed to make the album better.

Just out of curiosity, what made you drop those 2.5 points from the score?

Graeme

4. I started a thread on this last week after getting an advance copy of the record, but no one responded!
    I agree with you. "Vhiessu" is a big disappointment. I'm still going to see them in a couple of weeks, though.

5. How's Ed's tone on the new disc?? 'The Artist..." had one of the greatest grit-bass tones I've ever heard.

6. The bass tone is still really good, but there aren't nearly as many great bass moments on the new record as there are on TAITA.

7. TiMMay

TiMMay

Jul 21, 2005
    i dropped those points because alot i find there could have been more of a direction to the album, i liked the concept alot, but it just felt that the tracks were just placed aimlessly.

I really liked the bass tone, the overdriven bass sound is really something else.

8. CodyDEM

CodyDEM

Oct 21, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Wow you guys, wow.. the album is amazing.. I'm shocked true Thrice fans can't dig it!

9. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Well, having listened to the album several more times, it's growing on me, but it's sure no 10. There are some very good songs on here, but also some crappy ones. 'Image of the Invisible' is a great song, I must say. I'm gonna have to bump up my score to a 6/10. Still dissapointing, but not as much.

Graeme

10. CodyDEM

CodyDEM

Oct 21, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    haha WOW! we are opposites! I think Image is the weakest track on the CD.

11. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Ha, interesting. I also really like 'Red Sky', it's a strong closing track.

Graeme

12. CodyDEM

CodyDEM

Oct 21, 2005
    Omaha, NE
  13. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I think it's got parts that are great, and parts that out-right suck. I've only listened to the first three songs though....or should I say the first "thrice" songs...

oh ya...

that's right..

I went there!

14. TiMMay

TiMMay

Jul 21, 2005
    dude.. how can you judge a whole album based on the first 3 songs? :eyebrow: :confused:

15. The CD is incredible. Give it a few more listens. Then again, I'm a big fan of Radiohead, Muse, Denali, and Coldplay... Which are sort of sounds that they've managed to blend with their own. It's a unique sound that I really enjoy, they really manage to run the full gamut of emotion on this album. It's art and they're trying to push music in a new direction, I love that. Personally, I wasn't very fond of the CD my first full listen through... but then again, most of my favorites I haven't. The compositions are great... I'd suggest anyone take a few listens to it.

16. All I've heard is Image of the Invisible and I really like it. I'll have to give the entire a cd a listen to give you a proper opinion.

17. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    After much listening and thought, I've come to this conclusion about the new Thrice disc....

There are parts that are some of the best things they've ever done and some things that are a little on the "meh" side. However, as a whole, the album is REALLY good and a departure from "Artist...", which I think is their best all around album.

Definately pick it up if you're a fan of Thrice or At The Drive-In-ish bands.