Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thriller Bass

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by geoffzilla, Dec 11, 2001.

1. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification
    Hey all,
    Just got ahold of the Michael Jackson Thriller Special Edition re-release. It's the first time I've been able to sit down and really appreciate the production on this amazing album. Its also the first time I've really heard some of the really cool bass work. Does anyone know who played bass for the album?

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I think it's Louis Johnson, for the most part.

3. Steve Lukather also played some of the bass on that album, in addition to pretty much all of the guitars.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Lukather played the bass & guitar(NOT the solo) on "Beat It".

The credits to Thriller list Louis Johnson as the bassist on many of the album's tracks...from my recollection(which dwindles more each day), Thriller had a lotta synth-heavy bass lines("Thriller", "Billie Jean"). Greg Philliganes &/or Rod Temperton(of Heatwave) probably played the synth bass parts...Temperton probably wrote them(many of Heatwave's tunes had that same sorta vibe-a 'cool' bass hook that made each song memorable...at least for me!) . ;)

BTW, if you like Jackson's Thriller, two similiar albums from the very same time frame are worth checking out(IMO)-
    James Ingram-It's Your Night("Ya Mo B There" is a killer!).
    Quncy Jones-The Dude

Same cast of stellar musicians for the most part...

Where in the heck has Rod Temperton gone?!
    ("Mystery" by The Manhatten Transfer is another of his cool tines).

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Very few people know how big a part of Michael Jackson's biggest song Rod Temperton played. The guy knew how to do what I consider one of the hardest things to do in music.... write a simple song with a memorable hook. He did it a ton of times.

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Based on Allmusic's stats, Temperton fell off the face of the earth after the last "Carpenters" album was released.

But I see from Onion's AV Club that Air Supply has a new album out.

The cosmic balance is restored!:D