Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Through a guitar amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wicked mr happy, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Hey, im gonna buy my first bass soon and as a kind gesture my aunt bought me an amp. Sounds nice right? Only one problem: its a guitar amp. Can i play my bass through it? I've heard of people who play through guitar amps without damaging them but then I've also heard stories of the speakers of guitar amps being blown out by a bass. WHICH ONE IS REAL?!?! (Louis Black quote thrown in for effect) Can I or can I not play a bass on a guitar amp?

2. To be honest I don't have much expierience with this, but as far as I know, I think it depends on what the amp is, otherwise I think it'd be safer to run your bass on a bass amp.

Hopefully someone can be mroe of a help.

3. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    It really depends on what kind of amp. There is a good possibility that you could blow the amp if it cant handle your bass properly.

4. Considering this is your first setup im guessing its not the best of amps. I'd think that you'd blow it out. If not...you probably won't get the desired sound from it. I'd sugguest buying a bass amp.
    Nice of your aunt though. And hey, its the thought that counts

5. I played through a Yamaha 210 guitar amp for a while. It didn't break but about 2 months in to it and I was fed up with the sounds and needed to get a bass amp!! I got an Ampeg B100R and the difference is astounding!!

If you can, have your aunt return it and get a bass amp - even if its a small amp it will make a huge difference! Its really like comparing apples and oranges.

Later -
    K.

6. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    A true bass amp is the way to go regardless!

However, if you cannot find a polite way to exchange it with your aunt, the only real concern is the speaker. The electronics should be able to process the signal no problem. It is the speaker that is light relative to a bass speaker that will blow. If you replace the speaker with a beefier bass speaker then you should have a decent first amp. Your tone will be up in the air though as the EQ on the guitar amp will have frequencies that are set way different than a bass amp so you may end up hating the tone and/or lack of adjustability even after you replace the speaker.

When all is said and done, you will end up buying a bass amp anyways so do everything you can to sell or exchange the guitar amp before trying to modify it. You will save yourself alot of time, money and frustration! DON'T LEARN THE HARD WAY! You won't save much. BUT, do use care in dealing with your aunt. No need to have a family feud over an amp.

7. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    you can -- especially as a first practice amp, but it mostly depends on what the speaker in it is - some speakers will definitely be better for bass than others.

guitar heads are what the early basses started on and you can preamp the EQ to shape the tone to boost low frequencies -- but then there is the matter of the speaker(s).

If it has an external speaker out -- like a Vox Pathfinder -- it could be something very useful for practice with good resale value as you grow out of it.