Through body stringing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BillyB_from_LZ, Sep 20, 2002.

1. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I just bought a Squier Precision Special 5. The reviews that I've read suggest that a pickup swap is nearly mandatory...and I'll probably get to that. I've been thinking that stringing the B string through the body (rather than just the bridge) might be a good idea on this 34 in. scale instrument.

I know that metal and wood working would be required, which I'm not afraid of. I realize that the warranty would probably be gone...but I bought the bass for only $179 brand new (don't know why as Sam Ash had a black one hanging below it for $249) so it's not a huge risk to take (and since I'd do a good job, they might not even notice should I need warranty neck work).

Any opinions on whether this would be worth the effort?

If it seems like a good idea, do you see any benefits of doing all 5 strings? My MIM P has a B/A II which works well strung through the bridge, but I also like the feel/sound of my through-body strung basses (MIA HR P and MIA Urge).
  2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Well, you of course have to buy a new bridge.

But if you´ve got the skills to do it, and you are not very conserned with the final outcome etc. Then by all means go ahead and try it out :)
  3. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I don't think it'll make much difference at all. Not worth the effort.
  4. Ditto.

My RB5 had thru-body stringing, and I never used it because some of my favorite strings won't do it.

The MIM Fenders have more wood screws holding the bridge to the body, than do the MIA Fenders. The whole point of string-through is exerting more pressure to transfer vibration to the body, yes?

So, I wonder if the wimpier MIM bridges are equalized somewhat by using more screws to securely fix them to the body. I had a Gotoh 201 on my MIM P temporarily, and could not hear any difference at all between it and the stock bridge. YMMV.
  5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Thanks for your opinions...

I noticed a huge difference with my MIM P using a BadAss II vs. the stock bridge. It's response is very much like my MIA HR P bass with through body stringing.

The Squier is made in Indonesia and while the bridge is pretty subtantial (especially for a cheap instrument) I'm wondering if involving the body would help.

I grabbed an Am Jazz 5 off the wall yesterday and the B felt a lot more solid...perhaps it was a function of the graphite in the neck, plus the ash body, plus the through body strings, or maybe just just some of those features. Priced at $1100 it really wasn't that much better than my <$200 Squier.

Perhaps I'll just change the strings and take it from there...
  6. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The only experience that I've had with through the body stringing is a Lakland 55-94 Deluxe. With this 35" scale bass, you had the option of going either way. I tried playing the bass with through the body stringing and compared it with the conventional through the bridge stringing.

I found that I preferred the through the body stringing. Although there was a only slight difference in playability and tone, it was definitely noticable. The B string seemed to be a little more firm and thus had better tone, and the overall tone of the bass seemed to have imporoved - perhaps more tone from the quilted maple and ash body woods and it seemed to have more sustain.

Go for it, and let us know how it goes.
  7. I also have a couple Lakland D55-94s. When I got my first one I e-mailed Dan Lakin to ask him about the 'through body' stringing option and taper wound string on the 'B' string. He recommended both through the body stringing and a taper wound B string. I haven't bothered to string either of my 55-94s through the bridge, so I can see the difference, but stringing through the body has worked fine for me.