1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Through neck Precision Bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kink Rimson, Apr 16, 2009.

1. ... Anybody have such a thing?

I know, I know, a through neck Precision 'ain't a Precision', But I was wondering how the different construction would affect the tone.

I love my P bass but little things annoy me, like the high notes not being as strong as those on a through neck, and the traditional dead spots.

Another worry was how much of the P bass grit and growl that I love is down to the bolt-on construction? Would a through neck retain the Precision sound?

2. check out the old Yamaha BB2000, BB1200 and BB3000 - they had thru-neck construction and a split coil P-style pickup, and fender-type headstock.

3. You may want a Graphite or Ebony neck and/or a bridge with more mass. You could start with the bridge.

Note: Some of those quirks (within reason) gives a bolt on its own unique vibe. One may respond well if you dig into her hard and another may only need a light gentle touch to give you aural pleasure as you work your your fingers across her....sorry I got carried away....

:bag:

4. mike1762

mike1762

Oct 26, 2008
    Neck-through construction impart an inherent "scooped mids" tone to the instrument. The sustain tends to be better and you will find that the neck woods will have the greatest effect on tone. I find my neck-through instruments to be "smoother" but unable to generate the "punch" of my bolt-on basses.

5. I have one of the old Yamaha BB1200s, it has a reverse P pickup with the neck through design, fantastic bass.