through the bridge or the body????

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassman454, Apr 10, 2001.

1. i have just bought an ibanez ATK305 I have had it a week now and allready love it, at the moment it is strung through the bridge but i was just wondering on how much the sound differs between this way and thouugh the body? also for those of you who have one of these basses how do you have the 3band eq set? i am mostly after a good slap, twangy, beefy sounding bass which is also good for the fast type finger picking in rock/heavy. I need it to really cut through the band, especially when the giutarist has a marshall jcm stack.
  2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Go trough the body. I always liked my GHS Boomers installed that way on the ATK300 I had.
    For me it was the ATK300 + 45-105 GHS Boomers ; 3-Switch set at SERIES, Bass Halfway Boost, Treble Halfway Boost, Mids Center.

That way I had the tone I wanted, If I remember correctly.
  3. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Through the body will give you,tonally,a slightly tighter bottom with a little more sustain. You'll notice the difference although your bandmates probably will not and the crowd definitely will not.
  4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I don't really notice a difference between thru-bridge or thru-body stringing on basses that have a bridge the size of a Badass or larger.

On basses that have the cheapo stamped-plate Fender bridge, however, tone and sustain are noticeably improved by stringing through the body.