1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

through with tubes? (I need a new amp... maybe)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by clevis, Mar 15, 2009.

1. clevis

clevis

Aug 28, 2008
    I have a SVT-AV (basically just a dressed up SVT-CL). It's nice, I like it a lot. It weighs a friggin' ton. It's been my experience (and really, this is only with Ampeg stuff) that tube amps break CONSTANTLY and are very expensive to repair. Last night the volume started to cut out at the end of the set, tone turned to mushy-mush. This didn't work out because I play in a band that is just a bass player and drummer. To just crap out on me was very frustrating. Today, the amp sounds fine, I wonder if the tubes weren't overheating (although I have recently replaced all of the tubes).

So anyways, thinking about getting a Little Mark II. I know the LMIII is coming out eventually, but it seems to be similar enough not to make a big difference (I don't really care about the line-out, maybe the limiter will be good?). The LM Tube intrigues me, but people who've tested it seem to like the LM II's sound better.

Should I get a Markbass? What I really like about the SVT is the mid-range. I crank the midrange (high-mids, 4 on the dial). That's the sound I like. What to do?

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Listen to the MB gear and decide if you like the sound.

If you can't try the equipment, then don't spend money on it.

I presume you've replaced the battery in your bass if it's active.

3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    No offense, but if this is the case, might you be doing something to cause the constant breakage? I've owned 7 or 8 tube amps, and while that's a fairly small sample size, I'm sure I wasn't just really lucky in never having had one break down on me.

What cab are you running with the AV?

As far as the markbass stuff, I personally don't like (read: detest) them. If you're looking for tube tone, it's not going to be the same, but might get you close with some kind of dirt pedal up front.

4. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    +1, tube amps aren't nearly as fragile as people seem to think. As long as everything is running properly you shouldn't have excessive tube failures. I had a 400+ for a couple years and retubed it once when I first got it and never had a problem with it again. I was gigging fairly regularly too.

Dan

5. Try a Traynor or Peavey VB-2 tube head instead...they're lighter, have similar tone and fewer tubes to replace if something goes wrong.

LMII's are good, but aren't a tube amp tone IMO

6. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    +1

My Mesa Boogie gear has been very reliable and sounds great.

7. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Jumping from the SVT CL to the Markbass head is going to be a large difference in tone. You won't get that tube growl and you will get a much cleaner tone than your SVT CL will put out. You may like the resulting change in tone though and a very light-weight amp could make your life much easier. Try one out.

The SVT CL should be looked at by a service tech ASAP. Sounds like an internal issue and not the tubes.

8. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    Get a MarkBass and a SansAmp. You should be good to go!

Hey, it's just an opinion...

9. clevis

clevis

Aug 28, 2008
    I'm running it through an eden 210xlt and goliath 2 (4x10), both are 8 ohm but I'm daisy chaining them to 4-ohms (if I said that correctly...).

I don't think I'm doing anything really wrong, but who knows really? Tube amps have just been quite a PITA, too heavy, it might just be time for me to check out other (cleaner) stuff.

I play in a bass/drum duo, so having a cleaner tone might be better, although I do like the distorted tone I get (through pedals) with the tube amp.

10. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Try a Markbass R500. It's not going to sound like your SVT but it has a tube in the preamp and I like 'em. They don't sound like LMIIs and can give you an old-style tone. One of them might work for you.

11. I went from Ampeg SVT 2 pro to EA iamp,...never looking back!My peg is always broken!,..I'M DONE!!!

12. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    Tube amps have been quite reliable for me, and nearly every touring rock guitarist (and most bassists) in history wouldn't use tube amps if they were not at least mostly reliable. My Ampeg I've owned the longest (since '85, it's a '72) had a cold solder when I got it and went into the shop for that. Then it wouldn't power up about 12 years ago or so (I forget what was wrong. No other shop time for that one (other than getting a 3 prong a year or two ago). Maybe it's mostly the newer stuff?, I've got a '66 Ampeg and another '72/73 that have also been very reliable.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm a huge fan of Markbass, and to me they're the next best thing to a tube amp (albeit a very clean tube amp), but they just ain't a tube amp. But yeah, other than the SVT I just had restored that was thrashed when I got it and was never fixed properly until a week ago, I never had any problems with any Ampeg tube amps I've bought. Once in a great while I've had to replace a tube or two. That's about it.

If it's not working on a regular basis, it makes me think either it's not a tube issue, or you're doing something to cause tubes to blow, or you're using crappy tubes. I'd say before you give up on it, you should take it to a tech well-versed in SVT's.

14. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Little Mark II

INPUTS

INPUT
    impedance 500 Kohm, max. voltage 15 Vpp
    BALANCED INPUT (XLR)
    impedance 22 Khom, max. voltage 25 Vpp
    EFFECT RETURN
    impedance 22 Kohm, max. voltage 25 Vpp

CONTROLS

GAIN
    -80 dB to +23 dB range
    MASTER VOLUME
    GROUND LIFT
    switch on rear panel

EQUALIZATION

LOW
    center frequency: 40 Hz; level: ±16 dB
    LOW MID
    center frequency: 360 Hz, level: ±16 dB
    HIGH MID
    center frequency: 800 Hz, level: ±16 dB
    HIGH
    center frequency: 10 kHz, level: ±16 dB
    VPF (Variable Pre-shape Filter)
    center frequency 380 Hz (cut)
    VLE (Vintage Loudspeaker Emulator)
    frequency range 250 Hz-20 kHz (cut)

OUTPUT

LINE OUT
    balanced XLR, max. voltage 10 Vpp
    EFFECT SEND
    unbalanced, max. voltage 20 Vpp (pre-EQ)
    TUNER OUT
    unbalanced, max. voltage 25 Vpp
    SPEAKER OUT
    speakon, 1/4"

OTHER

WEIGHT
    6.39 lbs / 2.9 kg
    DEPTH
    10.1 in. / 25.6 cm
    WIDTH
    10.87 in. / 27.6 cm
    HEIGHT
    2.8 in. / 7.1 cm
    OUTPUT POWER
    300W RMS @ 8 ohm, 500W RMS @ 4 ohm
    POWER REQUIREMENT
    100/120V; 230V; 240V
    50/60Hz
    (Voltage is factory preset according to region of sale)

Markbass amps/combos are manufactured to be sold and used in the country of purchase, and they are factory preset to that country’s voltage.
    Due to homologation issues, the voltage may not be changed. :eyebrow:

Rack ears do not come included with this head.

--------

Little Mark III

INPUTS

INPUT
    impedance 500 Kohm, max. voltage 15 Vpp
    BALANCED INPUT (XLR)
    impedance 100 Khom, max. voltage 25 Vpp
    EFFECT RETURN
    impedance 33 Kohm, max. voltage 10 Vpp

CONTROLS

GAIN
    -60 dB to +23 dB range
    MASTER VOLUME
    LINE OUT LEVEL
    GROUND LIFT
    switch on rear panel
    PRE/POST EQ
    switch on rear panel

EQUALIZATION

LOW
    center frequency: 60 Hz; level: ±16 dB
    LOW MID
    center frequency: 360 Hz, level: ±16 dB
    HIGH MID
    center frequency: 800 Hz, level: ±16 dB
    HIGH
    5 kHz shelf, level: ±16 dB
    VPF (Variable Pre-shape Filter)
    center frequency 380 Hz (cut)
    VLE (Vintage Loudspeaker Emulator)
    frequency range 250 Hz-20 kHz (cut)

OUTPUT

LINE OUT
    balanced XLR, max. voltage 20 Vpp
    EFFECT SEND
    unbalanced, max. voltage 20 Vpp (pre-EQ)
    TUNER OUT
    unbalanced, max. voltage 2 Vpp
    SPEAKER OUT
    speakon/1/4" combo, 1/4"

OTHER

WEIGHT
    6.39 lbs / 2.9 kg
    DEPTH
    10.1 in. / 25.6 cm
    WIDTH
    10.87 in. / 27.6 cm
    HEIGHT
    2.8 in. / 7.1 cm
    OUTPUT POWER
    300W RMS @ 8 ohm, 500W RMS @ 4 ohm
    POWER REQUIREMENT
    100/120V; 230V; 240V
    50/60Hz
    (Voltage is factory preset according to region of sale)

Markbass amps/combos are manufactured to be sold and used in the country of purchase, and they are factory preset to that country’s voltage.
    Due to homologation issues, the voltage may not be changed :eyebrow:

Rack ears do not come included with this head.

15. a LMII isn't going to sound like a 300watt tube amp unfortunatly i'm guessing you want a big sound and i'd recomend sticking with a valve amp but looking after it a bit better

16. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    clevis,
    I went through the same thing as you.
    "LOVED" my 810 cab and SVT head.
    But the head always picked the worst of times to go down.
    I traded the head for a G.K. 800 back in 1984.
    Used the Ampeg 810 cab and the G.K. head up till a few years back. Great sounding combination.
    Went to a smaller cab....I'm still using the G.K.!
    I'd suggest tryin' a G.K. 700, 800, or 1001 and see what you think.

17. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Shoot-R's going in the direction I was going to suggest. I've no real experience w/MB good or bad, but there's a world of other hybrid stuff out there w/great tone and lots of track record that sells in the same price range, especially used: Eden, Aguilar, GK, Mesa, just to name a few. It weighs a few more pounds than the micro stuff, but reliability is high.