Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by quallabone, Aug 3, 2004.

1. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Does anyone else own basses that are so unforgiving that you wish you had another to break out when your hands aren't communicating with each other?

I played a show last night and was not at all impressed with myself. Just pure sloppy playing that a less responsive instrument wouldn't pick up. My time was dead on, my notes were correct, yet my execution just sucked.

Maybe I do need the Blink 182 bass afterall. Just 4 strings and a mastersuck knob.

Who else is playing a bass that has the ability to kick your butt if you don't pay attention?

*FYI I straightened myself out within 10 minutes of starting yesterday and the show went great!*
  2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I used to have a Modulus Quantum 4-string. With the slim neck, wide fingerboard, and 35" scale, there were passages originally composed in 1st position on a 34" scale I couldn't pull off very well, even with very large hands. It was a very hard bass to play well.

I traded it for my Spector, which is easier to play.
  3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    My King Double Bass has been kickin' my ass for two months now, but I ain't sayin' uncle til I whip it...
  4. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I have those days when my Alembic 5 string starts yelling "Hey! Anybody wanna see how bad this guy sucks?! Listen to this!!!"

When that happens I usually set it down and pick up one of my Hanewinckels. The Alembic has fairly tight spacing for a 5 string. When I'm on my game I can slap the crap out of it. When I'm rusty, even my fingerstyle results in awkward and unintentional notes. It tells on you big time if you're sloppy.

The Hanewinckels have much wider string spacing and are easier to slap on. The action is also slightly lower (well, one of them is a fretless) so that helps make them easier to play.

5. Yeah my Carvin can be a little unforgiving sometimes, I think the string spacing is a little tight
  6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    If/when you do say "Uncle" and you want to sell it - lemme know! ;)
  7. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Funny you say that. My 2 carvins were in the stable as relief from the unforgiving instruments.
  8. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I would say my Modulus as well. Tough bastard but oh so nice. When I want to feel better I switch back to my Fodera 4, and I feel like I'm the lovechild of Geddy Lee and Les Claypool.
  9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

You mean you're not?!?!?!?!?!?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

...well, this changes everything...
  10. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Sounds like the Orion. If I'm having a bad day, this is not the bass to use. I usually dive to the Lightwave. The flats can make it seem like I meant to hit that note so I can slide to the right one. And the GT-7 likes to pit its foot in my a$$, every so often.:)
  11. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    mhm.........these all sound like excuses! : P

I know i have the days were i just CANT PLAY ON A JAZZ fingers feel like logs trying to pluck madolin strings.
  12. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    I play unforgiving basses. Only. Preferably fretless.

Makes me a better player. There is no room for sloppy tech :bassist:
  13. modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    I used to have a fretless Stingray that cut me no slack. Yikes was it brutal.

Also the first couple of times I played a 5 string on stage. I kept going to the B string like it was the E string. Ouch!
  14. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Luckily I didnt start gigging my 6 till I got a bit used to it.
    my excuse was for these mistakes: come on, I was only adding the fifth to the root ;) :D

My 6 was that type of instrument in the first couple of months (remember, I jumped to a big-necked Corvette 6 from a very slim-necked Ibanez 4...)
  15. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    My upright kicks my ass...then I grab my fretless jazz and it is cream cheese.
  16. My acoustic bass kicks my butt and that's okay. after about a half-hour or so on that thing I switch to my fender P and I amaze myself :eek: It's kinda like baseball player practicing thier swing with three bats.