1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Throwing the Novak BS-DS & Serek LZN-B-90 into a HB PB-50

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by idlechrome, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Yes. Big dummy.

16.7%
  2. No. First time for everything.

16.7%
  3. Put on your big boy pants and post audio clips when done

66.7%
  1. idlechrome

idlechrome

Feb 15, 2021
    Going to be my first time doing some larger routing to a bass (especially for the B-90 at bridge). That’s why I grabbed the Harley Benton Tele Bass. Originally wanted to do it to my 80’s tokai jazz, but it sounds too good stock to mess around with:whistle:. Butchering it would be no fun, so, this less risky build is a win win for me. Jake, at Serek, unintentionally played a part in this good decision. (Thx Jake)

I could post pictures(&audio) when it’s done if anyone’s interested - Mostly audio cause I imagine it won’t be pretty :laugh:. I don’t really care how it looks. Building it to have a different sounding bass on my first project is the objective. The more ****** ** looking the better IMO!
    Lol joking but kinda not? I’m gonna begin when the pickups come in.

Have read this forum over the past year & it’s helped immensely. Posting has been odd as a lurker, but it’s been cool.:bag:

*Sidenote: Ordered from Thomann and it shipped from Germany to my door in New York in 2 days. Definitely think thomanns customer e-mail is automated. May have lucked out having no problems, but I can imagine if I did that it’d be a nightmare. This price & shipping time can’t be beat for a first order. That’s for sure*

ctmullins and Matt Liebenau like this.
  2. Neat. Keep us posted and ask any questions. It’s a helpful bunch here. :thumbsup:

idlechrome likes this.
  3. idlechrome

idlechrome

Feb 15, 2021
    Will do! May take y’all up on that offer haha
    Hopefully won’t be necessary though.

4. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Get after it, modding is fun, especially with killer pickups

idlechrome likes this.
  5. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Mmmm, sounds delicious. Subbed!

idlechrome likes this.
  6. idlechrome

idlechrome

Feb 15, 2021
    :bassist:Update:

haven’t gotten the Serek LZN B-90 in yet, but I installed the bs-ds over weekend & finished today. It sounds AWESOME.... the tap sounds SICK - the DarkStar though:woot:. I ordered my usual, floppy TI Flats for it tonight; It’s on.

This was the first time I’ve ever even opened a bass lol let alone - cut into a body, soldered pick ups, etc.

It was fun. I ordered a Router because free-handing’ pick up cavities with a dremel is not the way. For anyone out there: It’s definitely possible, but gets VERY tedious/sloppy/SUPER time consuming. It’s definitely Extra useful for other things though - smoothing/corners/cutting small stuff. Worth the buy still IMO. Just not for full out routing.

I like the BS-DS’s sound so much that I don’t even know if i want to put the LZN-B90 on the bridge :bookworm: still may or may put it in another bass now that I know what I’m doing haha.

I said I didn’t care about looks. she’s rough around the edges, but the sounds there+learning all this stuff was great. So, all is well.

Will post some audio & a song over next few days w/ it *for people to check if they please*.

Also, will update with the build if I do throw the b-90 in... still may! will see. Thanks again guys. & BIG THANKS to @ctmullins - his wiring diagrams were a lifesaver

Attached Files:

Flying B, ctmullins, rllefebv and 3 others like this.
  7. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Looks awesome, and I agree... those wiring diagrams were a lifesaver when I mounted my BS-DS!!

-robert

ctmullins and idlechrome like this.
  8. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Nice!! You have every right to be proud of yourself.

It’s always great when new people dip their toes in the modification scene, good on you! Venturing beyond what the factories offer, you begin to realize there’s a limitless universe of configurations possible. :thumbsup::hyper:

idlechrome likes this.
  9. idlechrome

idlechrome

Feb 15, 2021
    Dude. yes x 1000.... And Pick ups really mean A LOT. Fingers aside obviously. But This I know now for sure. thanks a million

ctmullins likes this.
  10. idlechrome

idlechrome

Feb 15, 2021
    Last two questions for anyone knowledgeable about this stuff:

1. If I were to reverse the main PU wires - white and red- would that allow me to put the bisonic on tap and have the DarkStar always on? like I’d be pulling up for bisonic is what I meant for the tap part so I could always have ds on.

2. Really want to replace this neck eventually. I know having the right measurements All around matters. So, would that be a matter of getting all those matching to the replacement neck? Would Warmoth be my best bet to look?

thanks again, guys

11. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    You can reverse the wires on the switch if you like. Personal preference.

idlechrome likes this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021