Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

throwing your bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lewibassist, Dec 21, 2002.

1. has any1 got any tips on on how to throw your bass around your body without smashing it or injuring ureself i went to a gig last night and this lad did it it looked cool has any1 got a tips on what strap or what straplocks i might need or any tips on how you do if u do it :D thx

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Just do it, man.

I throw mine all the time and I don't care who gets in the way. I've hit my guitarist in the head and caused him to suffer the agony of 52 stitches, I've hit my drummer in the head, causing him to have to sit the rest of the night out and I've hit my lead singer in the hand, breaking three of his fingers. Who cares though, cuz it looked cool as hell and I'm all about the image, man. Plus, because each of the dudes I mentioned above couldn't perform at 100-percent, I got to keep their share of the payout! It worked out great for me!

Here's how you do it: 1) Straplocks are for geeks. Just throw it and hope for the best. 2) Always try to throw it when someone else is doing something cool (guitar solo, drum fill, whatever). The point is to always keep the attention on yourself. 3) Don't waste your time practicing your playing. Spend all of your time learning how to throw your bass around your neck. Image is everything and if you want to make it big in this industry, you'll never forget that!

Welcome to TalkBass and good luck with your "studies."

3. my friend tried it and broke a tuning head or two. luckily it wasn't his bass (belongs to some loser who treats his bass like crap anyway).
    it'll probably be easier if you wear it a little higher up, and dunlop makes some decent straplocks. i hope you have more than one bass, 'cause if you do this little move wrong, your bass might go bye-bye.

4. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    Yeah whenever me and my band do Blink 182 covers (gosh those songs R tuff:mad: ) I usually just throw it over my left shoulder and jump when I catch it so I look cool. I like jumping.
    Sk8 or dizzie homeslice. Word to your mom

5. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    ya thut is lik sooooo k00l! i wanna do wAck s*** liek dat 2! liek i saw dis d00d d0 iT 1nc and i liek tooootaly stop practised and did praktis dat sweet crap til i coud then i did dat ting in front of my geetaris and he wos liek 'whooo k00l! u liek spined it and throo it d00d! u are da best base geetarist d00d ever!' and i wos liek 'i kno d00d! lets go break s**t!

6. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    lol lol

hoppus rulz

7. lol thanks i got a warwick streamer stage 2 wid blue l.e.d freetlight and a cort funkmachine i dont think i will b tryin it wid them but i might buy a vintage 5 string and try it wid dat :D

8. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    who said sarcasm is dead!

9. :D seems like everyone wants to do the big ol' guitar flip these days.

it all started in the late 80's in PA, a local band called Cinderella did it at a bar one night and Chad Ginsburg (guitarist and bassist from CKY) was like "awsome" so he started pulling them frequently, still does.

eventually all the other bands started ripping it off and claiming that they "invented" it.

Ginsburg does it opposite of what your describing in this post, ive seen it done both ways, over the right shoulder and over the left shoulder. if your going to pull it, its not hard you just need to believe your going to do it and just whip that mother as hard as you can and hope for the best.

i seen this one dude do it 53 times in a row (like a hula hoop) his neck was bleeding pretty bad by the end. has a scar that looks like idaho too..:p meh i got my 2 cents in. over and out.

10. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    and you didnt kill him?

11. Geez. Make fun of the poor noob if you insist, but remember that Wooten does the bass flip too... it can't be all bad.

12. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

I thought you'd have problems understanding:D

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This is one occasion on which Hategear and I are on exactly the same wavelength. Imagine that!

14. Chikenistheman

Chikenistheman

Aug 24, 2003
    Easton PA
    i saw victor wooten live twice and each time he threw his bass over his shoulder once over his left and once over his right and i first tried this with my only bass at the time and did it in the grassy area in the front yard (because of the unlimited ceiling) and the bass flew off and landed head first on the concrete sidewalk :bawl: . . . . broke a couple tuners but thats all behind me because i have since gotten a new bass that i throw over my shoulder but it doesn't look as cool as i want cus its so heavy i have to help it around on its way back . . . . but im just going to sit out somewhere and throw it till my neck bleeds . . . .

CHikeN

15. CKYBassist

CKYBassist

Nov 28, 2002
    Actually, Chad Ginsburg has actually stopped throwing his guitar because everyone has started copying him. (He did it the best IMHO)

16. i dont mean to prove u wroung, he just stoped doing it alot, he mainly did it with his white bc bitch, he called it the bitch toss.

if its done right its cool for a show, but just doing it all the time is stupid.

17. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    What Hategear said! :D

18. CKYBassist

CKYBassist

Nov 28, 2002
    actually it was deron's Rich, chad was using it. He did the toss with every guitar he had. He's endorsed by Ibanez, so there was probably less risk in hurting people with the toss when he's not using something as pointy as the rich. I am sure he has stopped doing it altogether, on the website he stated that he quit doing it and it would only live on in the videos.

I too would have to agree that it shouldn't be done alot. Just seeing a bass come that close to being destroyed gives me the chills.

19. I think it looks pretty cool:) I'd suggest do it on a break,like in the Linkin park - Faint video,he does it on a rest...I'd make sure your strap locks and strap are all secured before doing it....and swing it really hard,you dont want a headstock to your foot...

My guitarist friend practices it,and he said people really dig it at the show,just be careful.

Actually,I think doing it w/ a guitar would be tons easier because of weight and size...

Good luck...oh,and make sure no ones in range:)

Oh,Don't listen to those jerks that are making fun of you for it...;) The main purpose of playing a show is to have fun...and if swinging your instrument around is fun for you,knock yourself out! :)

20. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss

Ditto