1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thru-body string issues we should know about?

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by FidgetStone, Jul 18, 2007.

1. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    My new-to-me fretless L-2500 should be here on Friday. :hyper: I have heard some rumblings about some strings not liking to make the bend of a thru-body bridge. I am leaning toward flat wound strings to save the fingerboard. Please let me know if there are strings, flats or rounds, that are know to have issues with being string through the body.

Thanks . . .

2. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Many people say that you shouldn't string flats through the body, as they are more likely to unravel at the bending point- other people have done it with no problem...If I ever again use a bass with the option to string through the bridge or body, I'll probably just string through the bridge- no need to bend the strings at crazy angles, and I've been able to tell little difference in sound personally.

Karl

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    On my 51 Precision reissue, thru body is the only choice.
    It has LaBella 760FL's on it, no problems over 2 years...but I'd put the B string thru the bridge, fershure.
    That's a big bend for a fat string.

4. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    Hey Chef, I am considering putting TI Flats on my L-2500. Do you know of any issues with running TI Flats through the body? I was planning on keeping the B string through the Bridge as you suggesed. It is a huge B!

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I've never used the TI's; sorry.

6. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I have Sadowsky Flats on my L2500 Tribute, all strung through the body - no problems.

7. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    Not a G&L, but I ran TI Jazz Flats through the body of my Godin SD-4. Same set was on for about 4 years and withstood several removals/reinstallations (tried other strings but always went back). Always sounded phenomenal, felt great, never had problem with the windings.

fourstringbliss--do all 5 strings of the Sadowsky Flats set sound the same? I had a set where the B & E were totally dead while the A, D, and G were very bright. Bummer.

8. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I actually have two sets of Sadowsky Flats - both of which have been on this bass. The strings don't all sound the same. It's your typical, "fairly twangy G, less twangy D, solid A, slightly darker E, fairly boomy B" that I've gotten from all the 5-string sets I've tried. The B is a bit boomy but only the normal 34" scale 5-string B string boomyness. What I really like about these strings is how they tame the brightness of the pickups and add solid fundamentals. I find that rounds sound scooped on this bass. These have a sound similar to nickel rounds, just not scooped. Plus, they're glassy smooth and have that hex-core firmness. They're not tight, but are firm in a way that makes the notes jump off the strings.

I'm ripping a VHS tape to my hard drive right now or I'd upload some sound clips I made recently. I replaced the parallel/series switch with an outer singles/parallel/inner singles switch - a great mod! I'll post them to the forum later tonight.

9. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Sadowsky 5-string flats have a taperwound B. It strings through the body without any problems.

10. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Are you using the 34" scale Sadowsky's thru body or are you using the super long scale set? Even though the B has a taper, I bet it does not make it to the bridge?

I have an ash body / maple board Tribute that just seems to be pretty snappy and bright. But it is not so thick down low. It did not sound so good with the usual XL Nickel rounds. I have TI flats on it right now. The sound good. But the Sadowsky flats seems like an interesting option. Have you ABed the two?

Dave

11. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I actually think I have the XL set. All I know is that it works just fine on my bridge. I could take a picture if you wanted to see.

12. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    No picture needed. I was just curious if the taper was long enough to go thru body and still hit the bridge. I think that Sadowsky's thru body will put the fat part of the string at the bridge.

Dave

13. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I'll take another look at the B-string as it hits the bridge saddle. I had to file down the E and B string saddle screws in order to get correct intonation on those strings. That did bring the B string saddle back further so the tapered part does hit the saddle. I'm not sure it would have been long enough otherwise. There isn't any problem stringing the B through the bridge and the others through the body, though. With a hex core string there's enough tension to compensate.

14. Mike H

Mike H Senior bassist Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2006
    I have TI Flats on my L-2500 Trib, all five through the body with no issues. The .136 B is tighter through the body than through the bridge.

15. Hotblack

Hotblack Pay the cost to be the boss. Supporting Member

May 20, 2002
    Provided content for Genzler Amplification
    Same here.

16. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Strange, I just finished using the regular D'addario XL's on my L1505 stringing the B and E through bridge and the rest through body and thought they sounded great. When I switched to the super longs (everything strung through body) I thought I noticed that the b didn't sound quite as good. Kinda dull. Maybe it's my imagination. I have one more set then I'll go back to the shorter set and see if I notice a difference again.
    Also I've been thinking about the DR longnecks on the G&L anyone try these? I tried them on a fender Jazz V and wasn't super impressed. The taper seemed to go way past the bridge saddle. Maybe better on a G&L?
    Maybe the Fender strings made to string through body will work. Just thinking out loud here.:meh: