1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

thru body strings???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by noweapon, Jul 27, 2000.

1. noweapon

noweapon

Feb 10, 2000
    I'm thinking of drilling holes through the body of my Ibenez SGR 6. I saw someone who did this with a SGR 5 (b & e strings only) and he said it really helped out the sustain and tone. He kept the factory bridge and drilled the hole right through the metal. Does running strings through the body really help?? I'm seeing a lot of makers doing this, even Fender. I would think that once the string runs over the sadle the vibration is pretty dead, and running the string through won't do much more than the bridge itself..What do you folks think??

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I played a strings-mounted-thru-body bass for many years (fretless Gibson Ripper) and liked it's sound. Some will tell you it makes no difference; but as you say, many are doing it now.

When I owned a fretless Epiphone EBM5 I drilled all five strings so I could mount them through-body. I think it made a difference, but since I, of course, didn't A/B it, it's hard to say whether the feel and sustain was my imagination or not.

Keep in mind that doing so may require longer strings-- depends on what you use for ferrules on the back side. Carvin's are long, so the strings really don't go fully through the body. Stewart-McDonald sells ones that are only as deep as the string ball, which is what I used.

------------------
    - Bob
    eclectic bass - <A HREF="http://www.gollihur.com/bass.html" TARGET=_blank>
    http://www.gollihur.com/bass.html</A>
    <A HREF="http://www.gollihur.com/kkbass/basslink.html" TARGET=_blank>
    DoubleBass LINKS page -
    http://www.gollihur.com/kkbass/basslink.html</A>

3. J Wilson

J Wilson

Feb 18, 2017
    none
    You are thinking correctly.

It's voodoo bass tech.

While a down angle at the headstock and strings bent over the bridge and secured on the back of the bass may make the strings feel tighter (and that's a subjective feeling: IF they were tighter, the lbs/ft of increased tension would change the pitch!), it makes no difference in sustain. Period. All the business take place south of the nut and north of the bridge saddles, the 'speaking length'. Put the drill away, and save yourself the expense of buying XL length strings.

It's fashion.

TomB and JGbassman like this.
  4. 17 years is a pretty impressive necro, dude. Well done. Welcome to TB!

[​IMG]

5. I would NEVER do that any of my Ibanez SRs!
    You won't notice any difference in sound, and all you will have accomplished is limiting your string choice.
    There's nothing wrong with top load, and it's far more convenient.

6. J Wilson

J Wilson

Feb 18, 2017
    none
    Blind, as is obviously apparent, I did NOT read the date of the original post ! Duh . . . . . . . and thanks !

7. There is a subtle difference, especially with open strings. HOWEVER, with a drummer+band, no one can tell the difference.

I prefer string-thru but cant find any tapewounds long enough for my Schecter (35" + thru-body bridge) so I will top-load my tapewounds

8. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

I used to do that too!
    Gotta look at the last post date!:D

Still don't understand what the big deal is though!
    If the topic is relevant......:meh:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  9. AndreasR

AndreasR

Oct 23, 2012
    I think that the main difference is the break angle, which in turn maybe affects the feeling of stiffness of the string (but not the actual tension) but probably does nothing sonically.

Anyway, why drill holes when you Cann add a (completely unobtrusive and reversible) full pocket shim. You get all the benifits of a higher break angle, without the risk of completely effing up your bass.

10. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    After owning many, many strung both ways, I've concluded that the only noticeable difference to string-through is the extra hassle of ferrules, longer strings, and scary break angles (oh, and some broken flatwounds too). Who needs it? I'm all top-load now & forever. ...just one opinion.

PS: Could this be some kind of zombie thread record?:thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  11. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Another thread lownered. OP never reported back in. Sad. I suppose we'll never know if he fell for the voodoo.

12. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Well, seein' as how he posted it 17 years ago you can probably understand him not waiting around for our gems of wisdom ;).

blindrabbit likes this.
  13. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Extra hassles? My inserts, I assume you mean ferrules, are glued in so no issue there. Standard long scale TI Flats will last a decade or more and fit perfect, as did every brand I tried [except on version of LeBella flats, but they did custom make some E's for me]. Over 30 years of playing sting thru, using LeBella, TI, Pyramid, GHS, & Fender flats and never had a string break, ever. You're certainly welcome to your opinion. And more power to ya'!

I love the voodoo you do so well................

TomB likes this.
  14. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    ...but of course! :)

2saddleslab likes this.