thru body strings???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by noweapon, Jul 27, 2000.

1. noweapon

Feb 10, 2000
    I'm thinking of drilling holes through the body of my Ibenez SGR 6. I saw someone who did this with a SGR 5 (b & e strings only) and he said it really helped out the sustain and tone. He kept the factory bridge and drilled the hole right through the metal. Does running strings through the body really help?? I'm seeing a lot of makers doing this, even Fender. I would think that once the string runs over the sadle the vibration is pretty dead, and running the string through won't do much more than the bridge itself..What do you folks think??
  2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I played a strings-mounted-thru-body bass for many years (fretless Gibson Ripper) and liked it's sound. Some will tell you it makes no difference; but as you say, many are doing it now.

When I owned a fretless Epiphone EBM5 I drilled all five strings so I could mount them through-body. I think it made a difference, but since I, of course, didn't A/B it, it's hard to say whether the feel and sustain was my imagination or not.

Keep in mind that doing so may require longer strings-- depends on what you use for ferrules on the back side. Carvin's are long, so the strings really don't go fully through the body. Stewart-McDonald sells ones that are only as deep as the string ball, which is what I used.

- Bob
    eclectic bass - <A HREF="" TARGET=_blank></A>
    <A HREF="" TARGET=_blank>
    DoubleBass LINKS page -</A>