Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

thru body vs thru bridge

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, May 16, 2005.

1. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    just wondering what the differences would be. mods if need be, move this to where it needs to go.

since i bought my p-bass i have been going thru the body with the strings, since this is the way i got it.

now, i know that there will be some sustain differences if i run it through the bridge. just looking to know what the other differences would be before i try it.

every other bass i have owned has only been thru the bridge.

2. Why does this totally describe most of those "sustain enhancing" "tone improving" modifications and hardware "upgrades?"

3. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    hmmm. well, i tried it, didnt notice much of a difference(it was un plugged) but does it also affect the actual string?

like i notice the bend in the string is at a different place when you switch them. will this affect the string?

4. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Tried both on a G&L L-1505 I used to have. No difference at all in ton nor sustain nor B string tightness. But hardly playable when stringed thru the body. Although playability became better when stringed thru the bridge, it never became any near "decent" playability.

ANDRUCA

5. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    anyone else?

6. Are you talking about using the same string? So, if you use the same string the point from where the string breaks over the bridge to the ball will be longer if you string it through the bass, there'll be a kink in the string from where the string breaks over the bridge and also where the frets contact the string and where the string breaks over the nut. If you want a real evaluation, use fresh strings each time. In other words don't try out the bass strung through the bridge with your strings you've had on for the past month, then change strings, run them through the body and rage about the improved clarity and sustain. :smug:

7. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i know. i just put fresh strings on it and ran it through the bridge and so far i dont hear any difference.