Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thru bridge or body

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by HMZ, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Thru Bridge

16 vote(s)
    29.1%
  2. Thru Body

26 vote(s)
    47.3%
  3. Does not matter they sound and feel the same.

13 vote(s)
    23.6%
  1. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Do you prefer to string thru the bridge or the body if given the choice?

2. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    I string my flatwounds through body just because it makes the harmonics a lot clearer and for the TI Flats it makes them a little tighter.

3. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I like the thought of the strings pulling up on the wood through the ferrule vs. up horizontally on the bridge screws but when working on a bass, it's nice to have the slots for quick removal like in the hipshot bridges.

4. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I find the string sound more alive and feel tighter going thru the bridge.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've tried both ways and don't notice a difference. So, I string thru-bridge because it's easier. Also because I often use taperwound strings, and those are typically wound for thru-bridge stringing rather than thru-body.

Now, if I had a problem with the ferrules falling out, I would consider thru-body. :p

6. ... B & E strings through the body and A, D & G through the bridge of my 55-01D... not sure exactly how much of difference it makes. I use High Beam and/or Low Riders and when I go through the body, the taper at the tuning machine end is barely long enough to get over the nut. I'll have to continue experimenting.

L

7. AFlyOnGeddysWal

AFlyOnGeddysWal

Sep 27, 2004
    Orygun
    Thru the bridge, lately I prefer a quicker note decay.

8. If you use a coated string such as GHS Infinity Steels or Elixer Nanowebs, it is a must to string through the bridge for proper grounding or you mayget hum (depending on bass in question). The ball of the string must contact the bridge on those type strings as the ferrells are not grounded. I have thought about taking the ferrells out, run a thin ground wire from the bridge to each ferrell's hole then put the ferrells back in so as to ground them. I haven't because I am not sure how much trouble it would be to do this.

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I only have one bass that gives me the option and it's strung through bridge. I don't like the idea of the right angle between where the string comes out of the body and where it has to break over the bridge. Seems like it may strain the string more than through-bridge would. However, I've never had a problem with the break point on my Fender Jazz V which is through-body only or my Tacoma which works like a through-body with it's pegged rosewood acoustic bridge.

10. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I string thru the body cause....it's there. I also have 2 loose ferrules. Seriously, I can't hear the difference, I s'pose that if I really checked into it, that I would hear a slight bit of tone or sustain difference with my Chromes. But hey.....there's no way I would be able to hear the diff in a 700 capacity hall with 18" subs. As far as angle goes, it doesn't seem to bother my Chromes...I've had them on/off my RBV 3 times. also no buzz or grounding problems, when I participated in the Elixr trial.

11. Thru the body stringing seems to give some extra freqs(there are some more lows and low mids)but it really strains the strings and they break a little more easily especially heavier gauges.At least that's what happens on my bass