Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

thru neck design

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by godoze, Feb 15, 2003.

1. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i've noticed on many neck thru's that the neck material itself is on average about 3/16's of an inch above the top of the body then with the fingerboard sitting on that the height in total from the top is about 7/16's.

How do you maintain that initial 3/16" when attaching the wings to the neck blank. Should the whole blank be made 3/16" oversized and then remove that extra material from the section that goes thru the body ?

Am I making myself clear ? I'm not sure if i'm articulating this question properly.

in other words, the neck will not be flush with the body; that would be easy to do. the above looks a little more difficult to me.

thoughts ?

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I'm thinking that you've got it right about the blank being thicker in the neck area, and being cut down in the body area. I am wondering if the luthiers will agree.

A good book that would probably answer the question is Melvin Hiscock's book. I managed to borrow it from my local library.

I know that one way around having to have the neck stand proud of the body is to do a tilt-back neck, like on a Les Paul (and many other non-Fenders). This might take more design planning, but it is covered in the book.

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i read that book, and thought it was very informative. on that thru neck bass that he did though i do not remember different dimensions on the neck tho..

4. Dumfish

Dumfish

Oct 6, 2001
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    This could be totally wrong, but if you want to lower the neck, wouldn't you be able to acomplish this relitavely easily if you lower the bridge 3/16 thus lowering the plane of the strings? The pick-ups would also have to sit lower, but you'd have to rout a pretty accurate slot for the bridge to make it work.

5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    You can cut the neck step before or after attaching the wings. I find it easier to cut the neck step before and to simply line the wings up flush with the recessed part of the neck when joining them.

I also find that a neck step is preferable to recessing the bridge because it is more comfortable to play an instrument with ample room between the strings and the body for popping, etc.