1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thuddy E String?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Would'e?, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Would'e?

Would'e?

Mar 27, 2007
    Virginia
    I'm not sure if this belongs here, feel free to move it if it would go better elsewhere, mods.

I've got my USA Millennium 4 and amp dialed in nicely so that I can get the chimey piano tone I favor across the A, D and G. But they E-string just kind of thuds. I don't think it's a bad string because I can adjust the amp to get that string to sing a bit more, but only at the cost of losing the chimes in the other three strings. Anyone think this could be fixed with a set-up tweak? Perhaps raising or lowering the pups on one side?

The strings are Hi-Beams if it makes a difference.

2. Weird that you mention they are Hi-Beams. I just bought several sets of Hi-Beams on recommendations here and elsewhere. I've tried 3 E strings now on my Kramer and they all sound dull. The G,D, and A all have punch and nice crisp tone. The E is just sort of... blah... sounds almost like it's all harmonics, no fundamental.

Anyone else have this problem with Hi-Beams?

I highly doubt it is the pickups in my case, they are Darkstars and I have adjusted the pole pieces very carefully through a significant range.

3. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    I found the same thing on a set of Sunbeams the low end was missing on the set. The E lacked the fundamental. The original Fender nickels were warmer and fuller sounding.

4. Antrocco

Antrocco

Aug 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    I am experiencing the same exact thing. I am going to try a different brand to compare.I am putting them on a P-Bass.

5. Let us know what you find out, I like these strings very much except for this one oversight.

6. I lower the pickups on the E string side, the heavier E is probably more affected by the magnetic field than the other 3 higher string (or 4 if you are a high C kind of person)

7. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Sounds like DR has a QC problem, that needs to be brought to their attention.

8. I parted company with DR for that very reason several years ago, with the price of strings now days, and my "spare time" at a premium, I can not afford to fool with changing strings till I finally find a good one.

9. Interesting... What strings would you recommend? In terms of roundwounds, if that's your thing.

10. Well to each his own, I personally had good luck with Rotosound strings, I played rounds for years, but switched to flat wounds.I play Steve Harris series Flatwound strings by Rotosound. I love them. they start out bright like rounds, play in smooth but still bright for flats, and they don't eat the fingerboard up as bad as the rounds.

11. sheltjo6

sheltjo6 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2012
    California
    Reviving an old thread:

I've experienced the same problem with a my Warmoth Jazz Bass.
    The bass was originally setup with La Bella Deep Talkin' medium gauge strings, which has an .110 gauge E string.
    This is a thick string that takes a lot of tension to tune to pitch.

I noticed when I replaced the La Bellas with lower gauge strings, I noticed the E string sounded thuddy when fretting the string while playing.
    The sting sounded good when plucked open except for a chorus like tone, which I believe is due to a bridge saddle.
    The A, D, and G strings sound great. They sustain and the tone is articulate. No chorus like tone.

After playing around with the bass today and swapping out 3 sets of E strings, I discovered the source of the problem lies with the tension of the E string and possibly with the E string's bridge saddle.

String Tension:
    When I tuned the E string up two steps to a G, the string sounds great.
    When I tune it down to an E, the thud returns.

Bridge Saddle:
    I have two other Warmoth basses with the same bridge.
    These basses were setup with lower gauge strings, .100 gauge E string.
    I've noticed these basses do not produce the chorus like tone when plucking the E string, but their E strings have a slight thud, but not as pronounced as the Jazz Bass.

On a separate but similar topic:
    The G&l JB-2 bass I own, my avatar, had a similar issue when I installed lower gauge strings.
    This time, all the strings produced the chorus like tone when plucked.
    I took the bass to a shop and the tech isolated the problem to the bridge saddles.
    They were filed for heavier gauge strings.
    He suggested I replace the strings with the same gauge they put on the bass at the factory, D'Addario XL 45 65 85 105.
    Did that and problem solved.

At this point, I'm going to try a heavier gauge or tension E string, 110 gauge, and see if that corrects the problem.
    If not, I may try a different bridge.

I notice on the Spector Bass I used to own never had any of the E string issues my Fender style basses experience.
    Could be the Fender design that's causing the issue.

Or it could be carrots.