Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thuderfunk & Schroeder=KILLER

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Had a chance last night to try my TFB420 with my Schroeder 410 in a large venue/big band setting. 500 seat venue, Piano, bass, drums, guitar, horn section, no pa support for the bass.

Brought my upright, Reverend BH5, and Epi Jack Casady..three instruments that are just about as different from each other as they could be. It was supremely easy to dial in killer sound for all three:
    Upright, dial out some mids at 800, and timbre set a little right of center, enhance off. Boom! Killer big fat woody sound, complete with finger and string noises accurately represented.
    Reverend: dead flat, except for timbre a little left of center. Killer
    Casaday: dial out just a little low bass (not the para section), and dial in a little high treble (again, not para), bump the mids a touch at about 800 to help it punch thru, and timbre just a touch to the right.

I was cutting straight thru the mix with no problems. Man, the TFB420 eq section is really responsive, and what few tweaks I made were very incremental. Little bits make great big differences.

I'm a real happy camper. The TFB420 and Schroeder cab is a simply stunning combination. Lightweight, powerful, compact, tone for days, and a nearly voodoo like ability to tone shape on command and pile drive thru the mix. Pleae note, this is waaay different than "just turning up til you can finally be heard.

And perhaps the two best parts: I learned about both here, and I get to support venodrs that support the board. Yeah, I'm a TB-a-holic now fersure.

Thanks Dave, Thanks Jorg, Thanks TB!

2. I concur...I have had excellent results with every cab I use with my T-Funk! Especially my El Whappo!!! Glad you are digging it....

Peace,

T

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Very interesting!

Thanks for the review.

How loud do you get with your EBG's?

...And what kind of music?

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well I only have it's predecessor, but it surely is good, as well! :D

5. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Lo-freak;
    That job was middlin' loud. It was a blues based kinda night, tower of power kind of horns on top, some r&b/jazz standards, orignals thrown in. Temperate piano player, loud drummer (I'm working on his dynamic range, he's coming around), and a guitar player who has home built the loudest dang 25 watt amp ever based on a modified fender deluxe chassis design.
    I had the t-funk running at about 3 on the input, and about 5 on the output. I don't use a pcik-just fingerstyle. I had plenty of "headroom left in finger attack" to turn up for the solo sections.
    Uhh, does that answer your q's?

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Yes; thanks.

I know it's almost impossible to talk about loudness levels without a decibel meter, distance from the sound source, & acoustic properties of the venue, but we (I) seem to keep doing it anyway -- I guess it will give a ballpark type idea of what's what, which is about the best you can expect.

7. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I am intrigued! I got a Schroeder 1210 this week, and am looking for a lightweight amp setup (my rack weighs 40 pounds, which is too much IMO). Where is a good place to find used TFs? Ebay's got nothing.

8. timmy....you don't see many out there....I think Big String had one for sale a few days ago and I just sold one of mine...I got about 6 PMs at the mere mention that I might be willing to sell one of the 2 I had....I am shipping "the dude" one of mine tomorrow!!

here is Big Strings post......

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2198104#post2198104

Peace,

T

9. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Don't tell me that :p

My Schroeder 410 will be here in a week or so... I don't have enough money for more GAS!

Enjoy the rig :p Sounds a treat!

10. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I knew you'd like it! I didn't make it out Friday night but I will eventually...

11. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    No worries, we're there evey weekend this month. I think Friday next week, but my datebook is not in front of me, and I'm useless without it;)

12. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    So it looks like a used mint TFB550 is about $900.

Anybody know roughly what a used mint TFB420 runs?

13. Sweet I want to hear about this when it comes.

on topic, I'm trying to save for a TBF550 and Schroeder 21012 and from what you said this should be an awesome rig.

14. Yeah, I have a Thunderfunk and Schroeder 120 myself, and it's an amazing little rig. I just love watching the faces of surprised guitarists when I show up with it. Most bassists has those enourmous stacks, but I could not ever wish for more volume than I have now.

And the sound is great. I've made a recording from practice once, with a bad minidisc mic. The conditions were awful, but it gives you an idea: http://home.online.no/~pertlars/autumnleaves-01.mp3
    (and never mind the shabby playing..)

The only thing I don't do very well with this rig is imitating jaco. Not a big problem, cause I never do that live. But it's still pretty weird. With my corvette standard, soloing the bridge pickup usually gives me a pretty good jaco-sound. But not with this rig. I've tried tweaking the mids for what it's worth but with no good result. So when I did teen town on my exam, I actually used an behringer combo for that.
    (Keep in mind, this could be different with other basses and someone better turning knobs than me. )

I'm very happy for you, though, cool that more people has the unoficcial "tb-rig" :)

15. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    The Schroeder 410 is a great cabinet. I spent lots of time talking to Jorg about my neeeds, and instruments, and style, and even though I felt like I wanted the 21012, he was pretty adament that the 410 would work better for double bass. It deos not seem to suffer any low wned repsonse *at all* with electric-even 5 string-so I can only imagine what the 21012 adds to the sound. Should be killer.

Norwegianwood:I play fretless quite a bit, and have not found the schroeder incapable of this sound. Maybe try turning up your horn attenuator?

16. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus

Arg, stop it! :p

My 410 is here in a week or two.. It's killing me. I also thought of going the 21012, but Jorg told me i'd be best off with a 410, even though i'm usually not a fan of 10's for their depth and big thump. I'm willing to give it a shot. Heck, if i'm not happy, I'll just get a 21012 from over here when they're available in Aus :p

EDIT: You got any pics btw? Cos you know the rule.... ;)

17. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I play a BEADG 5 string and I love the low end of the Schro 410 even with everything set flat.

If you want more depth or thickness in the low end, it's very easy to dial in with a little EQ'ing.