Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thumb 4 versus Thumb 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, Dec 1, 2000.

1. Hi. I bought a used Warwick Thumb 5 bolt-on about a month ago, and am wondering whether I should try trading for a 4. The differences are narrower string spacing on the 5, and the fact that the "neck" pu on the 5 is far, far closer to the bridge than the neck pu on the 4.

I haven't been in a store that had both a thumb 4 and a thumb 5 simultaneously, so I can't compare easily.

Your thoughts? Specifically, does the 4 get closer to a Fender J tone? It's hard to get the sort of boosted mids on the 5 that a Fender gets when one pu is rolled off a bit, I guess because the pu's are too close together. . .

FWIW, the Thumb 5 does have a kiiillllliing B string!

. . . but so does my other 5, a custom J-style with EMG's and a Modulus graphite neck.

2. I have a Thumb 5 NT, and also a Thumb 4 NT. The 5 is much heavier (by just over a pound), is somewhat neck-heavy, and also feels not unlike a base-ball bat, but has great tone (I use Elixirs). The Thumb 4 feels much nicer, is lighter, has a much more comfortable neck (not unlike a Rickenbacker), and also has a great tone (Pyramid Golds).

Hope this helps -

- Wil

(for pics see: http://www.k1wd.com/music/bass/bass.htm )

3. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Warwick has also just realeased the option of wider necks on both the Thumb4 and 5 for about $160.00 or so(as if there not rich enough). Just thoughtyou'd like to know.