thumb 5 neckthru

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by herrera, Jan 14, 2003.

1. herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    just a little question

you can erase the thread after that (this go for a moderator)

i know that there is been a lot of talk about the warwick thumb neck thru

and i just want to know if the thumb from 98 (wenge neck and bubinga)have the neck as thin as the thumb from 95( that also have wenge neck and bubinga)

because after 98 when warwick start to cut cost they start making the thumb with ovaknol neck and i t increase the size

so i want to know the comparation betwen the thumb 98 Vs 95 or older because to me it seems that this bass is great except for the "just a nut 2"

note : i did research on the olders thread´s
  2. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    I have a 98 NT Thumb 4 string with the wenge neck. There is no difference between my bass and the 95 version that I played except the nut. I can only assume the same goes for the five string. I have since replaced my graphite nut with a brass one. It is a beautiful instrument.
  3. herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    that is a great response!!

i mean 2 hours ago i put the thread...

TB rules!
  4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I actually don't think that Warwick started using Ovankol for their necks untill 2000, so your safe up to then if that's a concern. I actually have a 98 with the "just a nut 2," so not all 98 models have the original "just a nut." I wouldn't worry much about the "just a nut" isssue though because it really doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of difference. Being that I have both, I actually prefer the "just a nut 2" because you can adjust it wothout taking off or loosening the string.
  5. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    another difference is the truss rod (double acting in the newer ones) and the volute behind the headstock. if it has the volute, it has the newer truss.
  6. herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    thanks guys!

i like when the people that knows a lot in TB answer my questions!

again TALK BASS rules!
  7. It's funny--the ovangkol necks on post-'98 bolt-on Warwicks are thinner than the older wenge necks, due to a thinner wenge fingerboard being used.

Funny how things work out. I love the newer Thumbs with the fat neck.
  8. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Why does everyone get so hung up upon nuts - I had a non-adjustable brass nut on my '87 Warwick which I replaced with a graphite just-a-nut 2. The tone change is imperceptible, the bass plays better and tunes better. However, with these adjustable nuts it's essential to loctite the allen screws so that the nut stays at the right height. Once that's done it's brilliant.

9. herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    and then why most people said that it suck the "just a nut 2"?
  10. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Same reason that everyone wants front-ported cabs - some sort of weird communal gut feeling with very little actual reason.

For the record I also have rear-ported cabs as well as a retro-fitted graphite just-a-nut 2 and despite this I still always get compliments on my sound. How bizarre...