Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thumb Bass and Neck Dive

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gruffpuppy, Mar 17, 2001.

1. has anyone tried to move the rear strap button on their thumb bass to compensate for the neck dive?
    I have a nice thick strap and it does help and the neck dive but it gets kind of irritating when you move right hand positions.

2. Yeah -- I've been wondering this too. In which direction do you move the button? Towards the floor (when the bass is strapped on), or up towards the E string?

I had a G&L ASAT bass for a while, which had 2 rear strap buttons so you could choose between them. I never quite figured out the physics of how that worked, and got tired of reaching 5 feet with my left hand to fret a low F, so I sold the bass!

3. Yeah, I've heard about the warwick neck -dive, but my Thumb six neck-thru, hasn't ever done this, admittedly, I have never played a 4 or 5 string, I used to have a long-scale,small-body Alembic that dove for the dirt at every opportunity though!

4. yea it the physics of it that are killing me.

i saw one were the guy move the front button to the back of the body, behind the neck, it worked but seemed to get in the way.

5. The neck-thru 1990 Thumb 4 I owned never had a neck dive issue so I'm wondering what changed between then and now that obviously is causing this problem. It boggles the mind. Do they offer a broad neck option on the neck-thru's now? That could screw up the balance point.