Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thumb bass ergonomics advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassBuzzRS, Oct 27, 2005.

1. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Greetings, roamers of this great forum. I just wanted to tell you about a special strap I had on my Thumb 6-string bass.

The short horn on the Thumb bass makes the neck dive, and also the long distance to the lower frets, can make for an awkward wrist angle on the left hand. (Assuming you're right handed). When I owned this bass(years ago) I found an ad in Bass Player magazine for something called TRI-Strap. I searched the web today but it seems to have gone out of business.

The strap went over your right shoulder in stead of your left like a normal strap. Then to make the bass stay on that shoulder and not slip off, there was a second strap that went from the front strap, behind the bass body but in front of your belly and around your waist and was clicked in place. The knob near the bridge of the bass went backwards around your right hip and attached on your back.

On your back was a circular leather piece that had these three straps connected, like a tripod, hence the name I guess.

This strap put the bass more to the right side of your body while playing. Standing up, balance was perfect, and access to the lower frets were effortless.

I am sure this type of strap can be made if you're a handyman.

Take care all,

Raimond

2. Link

Something like that?

Dave

3. BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Yes and no, this was a single shoulder solution, that moved the bass towards the right side of your body, and thus improved the left hand angle in addition to dealing with the balancing issues.

Nice strap you linked there though, for weight distribution :)

4. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    Maybe you can post I picture? I'm very interested!

5. BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Hello.

I'd love to post a picture, but I can't find it on the web, and I sold the bass with the strap some years ago. I just wanted to tip you guys to the design, if anyone wanted to make themselves a strap like that. It helped me so I figured I'd share the idea :)

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Best of luck to you :)

6. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    I have read your post again, but I don't understand the whole thing...maybe a little drawing (in paint or something like that) can help us!

7. BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Thanks for asking me to draw... While I completely suck at it, it gave me a chance to see that my explaination was lacking too, hehe :rolleyes:

Attached a file.

Attached Files: