thumb bass,modulus quantim,or spector eurpean?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eric atkinson, May 23, 2001.

1. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey all ive ran into a damned problem! Getting ready to buy a new 5 string! Ive always played Warwicks but its been years since ive bought a new one! A local dealer sells spectors Its the eropean version and is probably my least fav bass of the 3 but its still a bad ass! My problem is were i live there isnt any dealers with modulus or warwicks! So my only choice to buy one is on line at mars music! Ive only played the modulus quantim once and loved it! But i really love the warwick feels and sound but like i said i havent played a new one for years and alot of things have changed with them! Any ideas on wich one i might go with? Ive played bass for 20 years and play funk jazz!
  2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Spector's your least favorite of the 3? Shame one you;) Actually, that should be part of your answer.

Actually, my opinion differs a bit from that, however. I originally set out to get a Warwick Thumb Bass. The store that carried them in my neighborhood always carried them and I was duly impressed! So, I literally took my Modulus Quantum into that store one day and was very disappointed to find out they dropped the Warwick line in favor of Spector! So, I reluctantly picked up this bass that I'd never heard of (I was uninformed at the time:D)

So, after picking up the Spector, I bought it thinking I got a pretty good bass. Then I took it home and plugged it into my Trace (which is also gone, now!) and was totally amazed! It sounded incredible! But, that was just the beginning: it took me a few months to get used to the neck and tones that lurk underneath it's roaring hood:D

Rather than bash Modulus, I'll just say that the trade was the best thing I could've made! And, since then, I've been curious about Warwicks. They were ultimately picked up by Guitar Center. So, I've been in GC in Chicago numerous times. I always pick up Warwicks and ask myself what I was thinking! They are NOT what I remember them to be:confused:

You're gonna get a bazillion opinions on this matter. Just thought I'd be among the first to offer one;)
  3. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    well, either try to get an older Warwick (*ebay*) so you minimize the risk of getting one that feels different from your current pre '97 Warwick.

now, I guess if you already have a Warwick you'd prefer a bass with a completely different sound. I mean if I were to get a second bass, I'd get one that covers everything the other one can't do.
    I know the Thumb wont feel like exactly like your Warwick with just an extra string, but a Moduli or a Spector might be your 'thang.

I too would like to get everything Warwick has in their line, but if I really get the money and the decision to buy another bass other than my Streamer, I would look for something new which will expand my palette of sounds.
  4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I own a Czech Spector & I love it. I've played 1
    Modulus Quantum & it was much better than I expected, I've played many Warwick's & never found one that I liked. It's all a matter of opinion. I would personally go for the Modulus ('cause I have 5 Spector's already). If I were you, I'd get the Spector.
  5. jbass27

May 4, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    I'd say go for the Quantum. That's just me, I got to play some Spectors and hated the necks, they were just too round for me... or something like that, they felt almost like a baseball bat, which is fine if you like that. :) Try out Modulus basses with as many different tops. The store I work at has several and one has a morado top, which I looked at and thought ok, its pretty, but... Until I plugged it in, and it has more depth, and more clarity than a maple top.
    I've always like Warwicks, at least until I got to play one. The older ones I thought felt really good, but the newer ones I didn't care for as much.
    Bottom line, is play them all, see what you like best, try it on a gig, and see if it works for you. If not take it back.
  6. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Yeah the thing that sucks is iam in the city of Joplin Missouri and we have no good music stores here! The best one we have is a store that sells spector but the only ones he has in are the cheap ones! He has a european he let me try in the store and of corse he says there isnt a bass that can beat this bass! I think they think iam stupied or somthing! Well he finally figured out who i was and figured i was serious about my new bass and he said he would think about getting a 5 string in for me to look at! War wick is my second easy chance to play one of the 3! They are up in kansas city about 3 hours from me! Id really love to play a damned modulus but i think the closest one to me is in texas about a days drive! Man i need to move i guess!
  7. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    well, i owned a korean spector 5 string (ns2000q-5), and i thought it was nice for the money but not what i really wanted. i always thought i wanted a warwick thumb bolt on 5 because everytime i played one in the store i really liked it. but then i stumbled across this deal on a spector europe series 5, and ordered it off the it turns out, i like this bass better than the warwick - it can cover p/j and 'contemporary' bass tones, the neck feels as good as anything i've ever played (except maybe one ken smith 4 string i played once...), and the construction is great. so i would highly recommend one. the warwick is also a killer bass, but to me it seems to have more limited tones - it just always sounds like a tight-a$$ warwick, y'know? which is great if you play jazz/funk. as far as modulus goes, i've found that i usually like the necks but am lukewarm about the tone. but that's just me.

basically i bought the spector over the warwick because i got it for at least 300 bux less, and i'm very happy with it.
  8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    The main complaints about a Thumb tends to be the neck diameter and material as well as overall lack of balance. Just personal prefernce issues though. It does take some getting used to.

I love my Bolt-on, but I wasn't impressed by the Streamers, corvettes, or infinity's that I tried out. I liked the fortress model too. Those are all I've tried.

On the other hand, I used to play a Spector. I really did love it. I was intentionally going for a different sound in my current project. I had no choice but to let her go. I recommend the CRs over a Thumb generally. They are more comfortable and versatile.

My project is a Funk/Punk/Ska deal. I got the Thumb-bolt on for the sound I wanted. It really grrrrrrlllls. The Spector sound was smoother, more refined. Some jazz styles would be more suited to my old Spector's sound.

If I could have a second bass, it would be a fretless.
  9. The Spector is the Messiah of bass guitar. I bought my first CR Spector in '96 and the sound of these basses are still euphoric to me 'til this day. They are worth every penny and more!!!
  10. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    if you already like warwicks stick with them (to me they're like excalibur - not everyone can handle the necks but if you can you are KING!!! :D ). but if you're used to an older model you should try to find a similar vintage.

i think an older streamer stage I or thumb would be perfect for you, and used is tons cheaper of course.

11. You should also consider the Dingwall Afterburner 5 ($1400 list) which includes the "fanned frets", also, the Brian Moore i5 bass ($1400 list). Killer basses at an average price. BTW, Conklin basses are built in Springfield, MO. Have you ever considered them?
  12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Break out the scantily clad cheerleaders, who will now proceed to chant: Mod-u-lus! Mod-u-lus!

Go Modulus Quantum (IMHO) are the sweetest bass out there. They have a rather warm feel, though they have carbon fiber necks. Regardless of the looks, which to me are quasi-futuristic (for some reason), these puppied got the tone, and from what I have played, versatility. Not as warm as some basses, but hey, who needs warm?:D

But...they are $$$:(
  13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    :D That's a great comparasion. Put a smile on my face.
  14. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Isn't it nice to have a forum in which one can express an opinion and honestly believe he/she's right?:D:D:D LOL
  15. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    RAM...are you saying I'm delusional? Why you little...oh wait, never mind, I am!:D:D