Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thumb Bass Tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Funk, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    If anybody plays a Warwick Thumb and you would like to pull a bit more tone out of that fancy wood you paid for, try putting on a set of Fender tape wound strings. Not only do they make the wenge neck sizzle but they have a cool slap tone as well.:D

2. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Excuse me doc:D , but what your opinion on why they sizzle and whats different between tape wounds and say nickel or steel anyway:confused:

3. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    I don't really know about that FiXer, I actually put them on to get a more of a frettless sound but I got a funky sound instead.

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    You bought tape-wound strings. You have no idea why they're called tape-wound strings. You recommend them to everyone else. You say they sizzle.

Did someone say "crack"?

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Are talking about

TAPE-wound (have a black nylon tape wrap around the strings, resulting in a dry, thumpy tone)

or

TAPER-wound (where some of the string windings end before they go over the bridge saddle)

???

6. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    thanx geshel for clearing that up;) :rolleyes: .

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I was wondering the same thing:confused:

8. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    Dr. Funk,

Did you expect a fretless tone from nylon tape wound strings??
    Is your thumbbass fretless or fretted:confused: ?

I put La Bella nylon tape wound on my Sadowsky, it sounds fatter and sweeter , thats all.

9. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    *shouts to Warwick5S*

Where are you you Thumb-lover! :D

Well... the SSII-lover soon :)

10. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    OK guys, I just thought I would share my experience with you. Maybe my next post should be " Whats the difference between MIA and MIM Fenders". That one always gets polite responses unlike the wise cracks I got from mine.

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Dr. Funk, it really helps tremendously when giving out advice to be clear about what exactly it is you're giving advice about. In this case, you weren't.

Asking a question and getting wisecracks is one thing.

Posting a recommendation that is unclear and then not providing further details, is another.

The question still remains: are you talking about tape-wound strings or taper-wound strings? You said the former but your experience indicates the latter. There is a big difference between the two, so if you want to help people out (otherwise, why post?), we need to know.

12. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    I'm not sure why there is so much confusion. My post said Fender tape wound strings.

13. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    So your recommendation for 'sizzle' and a cool slap sound is Fender nylon tape wound?

14. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit...

15. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    There are no stupid questions...just stupid people.

16. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    "Sizzle" does not have to equal "bright", it depends on the context that Dr. Funk is using. I think he's referrring to the fact that the resulting tonal pallete "sizzles". Just my thoughts...

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

...if it doesn't fit, you're full of...:eek:;):p

18. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Dr. Funk, would you care to clarify what you mean by "sizzle"?

And just to triple-check, these strings you're talking about have black nylon tape wrapped around them?

19. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    Yes, the strings I'm talking about are nylon tape-wounds. They have a black tape wrap on them.
    The sizzle sound...hmmmm....It hurts my brain to try to put that in words. What sounds like sizzle to me could sound completely different to someone else. Just try them out.

20. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle

:rolleyes:

I've also found jalepeno sauce on my strings sounds incredible. It really adds bite. I have no idea what I mean by that, and absolutely no clue whether or not it has anything to do with whatever anyone else out there is trying to do. But you should all try it out. Especially if you have a Warwick Thumb Bass.

I know you're going to say "why do you pick on me" again, (or maybe this time just "f*ck off"). It just hurts my brain that someone could post "advice" which is absolutely useless and very likely to cause someone to blow $40 on a set of strings because they want "sizzle", which you said yourself means something different to everybody.

Nobody is going to fault you if you wait until you can actually describe what it is you want to say before you post advice. Funny how that works.