Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thumb Blisters

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by frobie, Apr 23, 2005.

1. frobie

frobie

Jan 7, 2005
    I am experiencing some thumb blisters from doing "Birdland" type harmonics, where you place your right thumb on the string 8va above the fretted note then pluck with right index finger. I have used this technique before, but I started running some scales and arpeggios and my thumb started blistering. Is this something that will just callous up? Or does it sound like Im doing something incorrect.

*guy with a sore thumb

2. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Well.. just recently I wrote a line for one of my bands that included double stops in an up tempo beat. I immediately got a blister on my thumb and not my index finger. So I would imagine if u kept it up the pain and blisters would eventually stop.

3. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Developing good meaty calluses is an important phase when learning to play bass to it's full potential. There are a lot of nerve needings in your thumb and fingers, so if you can develop good caluses, this will create a sort of barrier between the nerves and the strings, thus allowing you to push your playing ability even further. Of course, this takes time.

Keep playing hard and often!

4. just keep playing no matter what

5. frobie

frobie

Jan 7, 2005
    lol, no worries, im stilll playing, just not that style of harmonics.

Is it possible to develop a calous on the outside of your thumb? I've never gotten blisters or broken skin on my thumb. Its a sign! *quits bass