1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thumb BO fretless, ovangknol or bubinga? tone diff?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by [SD], Apr 5, 2006.

1. [SD]

[SD]

Feb 24, 2004
    well, i'm thinking on getting a custom shop Thumb BO fretless 5 string by the end of the year and i wonder what tonal differences are between bubinga and ovangkol bodies. I'm thiking also on adding piezos and JJ SD pickups and 3 way SD preamp.
    So what you people think? which wood??
    Also anyone have an idea of prices for custom shop?
    I currently have a standard corvette with bubinga body and i find it to have maybe way too much low end, i'd like a little more mids.

2. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Well there you go, if you want more mids and a little less bottom, go for the Ovankol body. Either way, be sure and get the Ebony fretboard. I'm sure it'll sound like heaven! Good luck!

3. Z-Bass

Z-Bass

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    SD, does your Corvette Standard have the active pickups and preamp or is it passive? I ask because if it's active, the preamp may be the issue. The MEC preamp bass frequency is centered around 100hz (I believe) and I have found that frequency can be on the boomy side. If this is the case, then maybe you can try a different preamp. Maybe deactivate the onboard pre (i.e. pulling up on the volume knob) and try some outboard models or different amp EQ. I thought of this as I found the Corvette Standard to have a nice mid quality to it, but mine was the passive version. I currently have a Streamer LX 5-string and felt the same about the bass in the preamp. I swapped out for an Aguilar OBP-1 pre and that did the trick. If you tried any of this already sorry for the long winded post.