1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thumb BO Replacement Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Fridge123, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Ok, thanks to the reccomendations of the people over at Musician Forums, i bought some Dimarzio Model Js.

Now, after taking out the old MECs, i wasnt certain on how to wire them up. So i took them to my local warwick retailer, and asked them to do it. Three days later (today) they phone me, and tell me that it is not possible to install them, because the old MECs were active, and these are passive. Apparantly the only way to install them would be to remove the preamp from the Thumb and wire it up like a J bass.

I personally think this is bollocks (pardon my language) and was wondering what the experts thought. Im sure there must be a way to wire them up.

If not, apparantly the only way to go would be EMG.

Not that i would be complaining, but its quite a bit of wasted money...

BTW - its an 04 Thumb

2. Semi-urgent bump - if anyone can get me wiring diagrams of how to wire up a pair of Dimarzios Model Js into a Thumb BO - if its not within the next half hour i wont get my bass back until thursday

(the man who was doing it for me has realised that he doesnt know how to rewire the old MECs back into it. Even i could do that. Hes an idiot.)

3. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Sorry I haven't got any idea for wiring but I can tell you that my Streamer Jazzman have passive pickups with a MEC preamp so... it is possible to have some passive pickups with WW preamp.

Sheers

4. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    If I'm not mistaken one of the guys over ansd sputnik forums (formerly musicianforums) was trying to do the exact same thing and apparently the pickups did match up electronics wise for some reason.

I would just check on the Di Mazario and 100% sure first. Then again I might have been his thumb's particular year model that had that issue.

EDIT: Here is the link to the thread

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458796

5. Yeah, im pretty certain that it can be done, so im not sure what this guy at andertons is on about

And to ebe9 - thats because that was me :smug:

6. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa

A bit clueless on my part tonight, re-read your post and saw the part about maybe heading on over to talkbass.

Thought it a bit odd that there was anopther chap on her with the exact same problem, just did not click.

Like I said in the other post, maybe try contacting warwick, maybe they might have some suggestions