Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thumb bolt on 5, electronic help.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DerekP, Jan 1, 2006.

1. DerekP

DerekP

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On
    happy new years everybody, i have a thumb 5 that i love but i find it to be a little to harsh on the high mids, id really like to warm it up a bit and maybe add a mid range control, but i dont really know much about the electronic side of bass, ive been reading some threads and see that a pickup swap/preamp swap may help, is there a way to add a mid range control maybe something stacked? thanks for your help

2. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    National Reso-Phonic Guitars
    if you want to go that route, you need a new preamp. warwick will sell you a 3 band, stack knob pre for your bass that should drop right in.(stacked master vol/pu blend.......stacked mid sweep.......stacked bass/treble.) however, alot of tbers will say that the MEC pickups and preamp are crap, and maybe to replace them with barts for the tone you're after????

3. DerekP

DerekP

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On
    yeah sorry i should have mentioned that i do not want to stick with the mec so any suggestions on which to change too are welcome, barts interest me for sure, could i get something like u were saying about the warwick 3 band from bart and just drop it in?

4. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    National Reso-Phonic Guitars
    well, if you have never done a pre/pickup swap, i would suggest the emg bqc system. i think it comes with the option of 3 holes or 4 hole setup, the harness is modular and prewired. the emg pickups may require soldering to the blend circuit board, but other than that, it is a straight forward install. the only problem is, the tone wont change as drastically as the bartolini swap. emg's will have a bright, clear, full sound that is similar to the mec's, but not as harsh in the treble range, and with more lows. some guys just change the preamp, others only the pickups. i have mixed and matched the emg/mec preamp and pickup combination, and found the pickups to be the weak link. sooooooo, maybe just get some active bartolini pickups and wire them to the stock mec pre??? there are alot of different bartolini winding options, so do your homework and choose the pickup that you feel may suite YOUR needs the best. should not be too difficult, but take your time an be careful.