Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thumb Bolt On 6 Wide Neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Anyone have the chance to try one of these, please post your comments regarding feel, tone, and the string spacing for finger style and slapp.

Thanks

2. ..I had a wide 5- loved the sound & playability, hated the neck dive. I mention this because I think Thumb 6's may suffer more than 5's from this, what with a more substantial neck & small body. As I've stated before, I wanted to (& still do) like it, but I was comparing 5's & 6's to a Thumb BO 4; all different animals. I did have a Corvette 6 for awhile- it was heavy, but balanced well. If it was wider, i would have just dealt with the weight. Sorry, rambling- too much coffee (contradiction in terms?)...
    Oh yeah, it slapped well, but not as good as my Fender Jazz 5. I'm thinking 20 fret necks feel better for slap. I dug it for fingerstyle, too; I like it wide 'cause I'm clumsy.

3. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I can't really comment personally on the wider version but I've talked to a couple of players that played the wider version and really thought it was an improvement over the std. version. I owned a Thumb 5 with the std. narrow string spacing and that was the primary reason I sold it. I loved the sound of the MEC electronics but the bass just didn't feel comfortable playing finger style and slap.